Used Biocube 29 but has dried algae??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paulr

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just picked up a used tank. Looks in goo shape but there is dried algae on the back part as well as power heads and such. Any thoughts on getting it off? I have see where you fill it with water and bleach? Then scrape it with a credit card or whatever. Any thoughts how to get this cleaned the easy way??

Just picked up a used tank. Looks in goo shape but there is dried algae on the back part as well as power heads and such. Any thoughts on getting it off? I have see where you fill it with water and bleach? Then scrape it with a credit card or whatever. Any thoughts how to get this cleaned the easy way??

You can use bleach, but I'm hesitant to use chemicals. You can use vinegar, it's a natural acid. And you can soak the PHs in vinegar to clean them. Just rinse it all well before using the tank. And yes, you can use a credit card to scrape, they also sell scrapers at the LFS. If you have one, a car window scraper would probably work too. Good luck!

Ditto on the vinegar. Just rinse well afterwards. You can get plastic scrapers for the biocube which I recommend. I got one from Drs. Foster and Smith that has interchangeable heads like this one.

Aquarium Algae Scrapers for Glass & Acrylic Aquariums: Algae Scrapers

You will need one anyway as it isnt the best idea to put your hands into the tank when established. You could get bacteria into any open wounds on your body or things from your hands (dirt, lotions, etc.) could contaminate the tank.

Can i just let it sit for say 5 or 6 hrs and be able to get it off? The lady included a glass scraper (which i know not to use on the acrylic) which i think would work ok or is it better to use a credit card? It should come off pretty easy when soaked?

Even with soaking it will take some effort to remove the algae which I assume to be coraline. It will definately be easier after soaking but that stuff can be stubborn.

I started soaking the powerhead in fresh and it seems to come of semi easy but this is not that entire backplate;-). Hopefully not too bad. Excited to get it going! Looks like i got a dead bulb with but happens.

Back
Top Bottom