Used Sand - Protein skimmer question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

schmilnik

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, I went and bought a tank and I have some sand from another tank and the guy at the LFS said that I shouldnt use that sand. They both are saltwater and I dont see why I woulndt be able to. Is he just trying to make a sale?

Secondly is that I used soap to wash my protein skimmer is this going to create a problem?

Thanks for any advice!

The thing about the sand is that you could transfer some nasty stuff from his tank into yours. I have heard people recommend to seed some of your new sand with the old sand. I am not to sure about the protein skimmer but I would say that the soap may cause a problem.

Rambo64 said:
The thing about the sand is that you could transfer some nasty stuff from his tank into yours. I have heard people recommend to seed some of your new sand with the old sand.

Right on the money. Sand is cheap compared to all the problems you`ll experience by moving old sand over. Buy new sand and take a cup of the old sand over to seed the new sand. As far as the soap there is a good chance it will cause a problem. Just so you`ll know in the future never use soap on any aquarium or equipment. Even if it dries the residue will come back as soap in your tank which can be leathal. Hope all goes well.

So I have 60lbs of sand how much new sand should I buy?
And is there anything I can do about the soap because I dont want to have to buy a new skimmer. Thanks

No need to buy a new skimmer. Just get a bucket of water and put some vinegar in it and wash the skimmer again. It will take the soap residue off. As far as the sand just buy what you want for your tank and add a cup or two from the old sand. Here is a calculator you can use to figure out how much sand you`ll need.

http://www.fantasyreef.com/flash/calculator.html

Back
Top Bottom