Used tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScottVinVA

Aquarium Advice Activist
Would you buy a used tank?

I want to get a 40-50 gallon tank as my starter tank but not sure that buying a brand new one is my best bet. Is there a general number for a used tank?

$5/per gallon? $10?

Is this to low to expect? I am looking on craigslist.org and there are some stand alone tanks and some full setups.

Any input?

Thanks!

Depending on age and condition I see no reason not to buy a used tank. I would think that 50% of a new tank or less would be about right, again depending on age and condition.

Well, for a used tank I saw one in the paper that was $399 for a 65g with stand and hood, wet dry and sump...hmm can't remember all the details. But if you go used, ask questions! Ask to see if copper was used in the tank, you do not want a tank that used this in the system. I bought mine used for 500. It came with the stand, a few simple lights, about 60-70 lb's of live rock and sand. I saw it up and running with fish in it. I LOVE my tank and it was the best purchase I ever made.

Also...one thing to consider is if the previous owner ever used copper medications in the tank. It's my understanding that it can collect in the silicone sealant and leech back into the system. It will also need a thorough cleaning a rinsing before put to use to remove any undesirables organisisms like ick.

copper in the silicone

i was also told by my LFS that if copper is ever used in a tank the silicone absorbs it. the copper is then slowly rleased over a period of 8-10 years.

i don't know if this is true but i was told that you can tell if copper has been used because it turns the silicone a slightly blue colour?? is this true??

the benwfits of buying used are obvious but it appears to me that there are some serious down sides. imagine spending months setting up your system only to find that there is copper being released into the water and you can't grow corals!!

does anyone know of a test that can be done on water to check if there is any copper, this way you could check a tank before you put it to use.

mark

Back
Top Bottom