Using a shrimp for Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Everett Adams

Aquarium Advice Activist
Im currently using LR to cycle tank. Is it a good idea to through a raw shrimp in as well or is that overkill?

You need something to decay and make ammonia. You also need a little nutrients in the water. I did the shrimp.
There is also an article here about fishless cycle. It's really good. I did that after the shrimp totally dissolved to finish up my cycle. If you do the fishless, you need to add a pinch of food every week or so I think it was.

You want the ammonia to be around 3-5ppm. If the die off is getting you there then no need to add anything. If it's too low then you can something to bump it up. Pure ammonia would be best because you can be precise in the dosing. Otherwise, a RAW shrimp will work just fine though it might be a little stinky after a few days.

Otherwise, a RAW shrimp will work just fine though it might be a little stinky after a few days.

LOL - I cycled my tank with LR and a shrimp. It didn't smell at all! Oh, and if you do put a shrimp in there, don't pick the biggest one - if you do you may end up taking it out because your tank will be cycled before that thing is gone and, well, at that point it will smell terribly once you get it out of the water (speaking from personal experience :blink: )

I used 3 shrimp in my 120 gallon. They completely disappeared in about 4 weeks and the tank still wasn't completely cycled by then with 20# of LR and 80# of ls. So i switched to the fish less cycle method.
Problem was I GROSSLY over estimated how much ammonia should be used. I couldn't find any info on it in the article, so i guessed. I figured 120 gallons, 2 cups would be like a drop. Boy was I wrong.
My API kit turned blue!!
Long story short, don't even use a cup of ammonia.

Back
Top Bottom