Using a small HOB on a large tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AdamHorton

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi, everybody! :crazyeyes::slurp::splat:

So in a few weeks I will be finished stocking the tank for a while, which means I will not be using any quarantine tanks. I know that I need to kill off the bacteria in the QT filter media, and once that's done I should hang it on the display tank to seed it for the next time I need a QT.

The QT filters I'm using right now are an AquaClear 20 and an AquaClear 30, both are HOB.

So here's my question. How the heck do I do this? I can't put these small HOBs on the display tank because it's a 150G tank and the glass is way too thick. I have a sump/refugium setup (I'll include a video of that below, I'm pretty sure nothing has changed) made up of a wet-dry filter box and a 20G-High tank. The HOBs would fit on the side of either of these tanks, but whenever the pump is running (basically always) the water levels of each of these tanks are so low that the pump's "arm" won't reach down to that level.

YouTube - 150G Tank and sump/refugium setup

How should I deal with this?

Hi, maybe you could put only the media from the ac20 and 30 HOB's in the sump to seed it (media) with the bacteria from your main tank

That sounds reasonable. I guess I would just throw it under the mechanical filter where the pile of LR is on the far left of the sump... I'm guessing I wouldn't want it to be submerged, or would I?

Does anyone know for sure if this would work?

Just be sure to leave it sit in something to kill the bacteria for a few hours...
Otherwise ya, just hang it even on a suction cup or something in the main tank... Just be sure to leave it there for a couple months to be sure it's seeded...

That sounds like the best option and you'll even save on the electrical bill. Haha just as long as they stay wet you'll be fine using them in the sump.

Back
Top Bottom