Using frozen shrimp from walmart for food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

moog24

Aquarium Advice Activist
Good day everyone. Has anyone tried to use frozen shrimp from Walmart to feed? I'm talking about the bags of frozen shrimp you would use to cook and eat, not the actual frozen mystic shrimp. I was thinking about using one and grinding it up in a blender and feeding them to the fish. I just want to see if anyone has tried this and if you think its a good or dumb idea?

I've heard of people using a mash consisting of shrimp fish another seafood end feeding that to their fish that way you don't have to worry about just doing the shrimp you can do a combination of the of the three.

I've used it for my goldfish many a time. As long as it doesn't have any dressing/chemicals or anything added, it should be fine.

I'm new here and don't want to over step but I have VERY strong beliefs on feeding critters in my care...

Keep in mind that I am totally against how Walmart does business but I won't go into details. In my personal opinion I will not buy ANY protein from Walmart for my own consumption. If I won't eat it I surely would not give it to a critter in my care. Whether a dog, cat or fish a critter in your care is not a privilege, it is a responsibility. If you don't want to use an aquatic store for the food at least use a reputable fish market and make sure that it is fresh and qualified as aquatic food safe.

I don't know the size of your fish but I would think that you might do better in their favor by using frozen Brine Shrimp from a decent aquatics store instead of the garbage put out by big box stores.

For instance shrimp from most grocery stores contain levels of led and mercury that is not only bad for you but even worse for your fish.

Unless your fish are REALLY large I would suggest frozen brine shrimp from a reliable pet store. Other options would be blood or black worms. If the fish are large enough live meal worms are also a good choice. Then there is also the option of 'feeder fish' such as feeder gold fish or guppies depending on the size of your fish if they are predictors as are most South American Cichlids. Sounds cruel to put live fish in a tank just to be eaten but it is a natural thing. It is what happens in the wild.

I'm not trying to tell you where to shop and I've just started getting back into a tank after many years away. Think of having a dinner date and wanting to impress. You would not use inferior food for the dinner. Treat your fish the same way.

Back
Top Bottom