Using live rock from older tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bob Amirani

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi. I have a Ferplast Dubai 90 marine tank about 3 months old. I am going to change it to a new Ferplast Star 160. I have around 55 Kg of live rocks in the old tank. can I move these rocks to the new tank? What shall I do to get rid of the crabs ? I can put them in a the new refugium. Shall I wash up the rocks. Appreciate your comments.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

What kind of crabs do you have. You can definitely add the LR straight to the other tank but I would not clean it as you will lose a lot of your nitrifying bacteria.

wouldn't wash them but I would dip in a bucket of tank water just to get excess crud off them , why wouldn't you transfer over the crabs great part of CUC

thank you for your advice . There are bunch of crabs and i do not feel very comfortable with them.. Sometimes i can hear some ugly click noises from the tank specially during the night. once i read somewhere it could be a pistol shrimp ... so I thought it might be a good idea to soak LR's in high salinity

pistol shrimp are fine , but if its a mantis shrimp yes you want to remove him , see if you can track down the rock , why kill off all that good bb thats built up on the rocks

Thanks a lot I will try to find out what is this creature. meanwhile I wonder does soaking LR in fresh water kill all those crabs or will be able to get most of them alive and put back the good ones in the tank?

Back
Top Bottom