UV Sterilizer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MadPhrog

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 29 gallon coralife bio-cube that has been running for 3 and a half weeks. My cycle is finished and I have gotten a mini uv sterilizer for my tank, I was just wondering how long should I run the sterilizer, from reading other posts I have gotten mixed results. Should I run it 24/7 or just when I am adding new fish and what not. Thanks for the help :thanks:

I have read about not running them 24/7, but in all reality I don't have any faith in the effectiveness of the units we are sold as they don't have near enough of the water column to process out any parasites...but it can solve some algae blooms.

I talked to the people at my LFS and they said that it was a good think to have when introducing new fish and that it would keep the water really clear. I think I'll just leave it on for a day or two like 2-3 times a month and when adding fish. Thanks for the help.

Well, that thought process doesn't make sense. You can run carbon for crystal clear water. Either way, it can't hurt anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I would just let it run in the same timer as your lights. No real reason to run it continuously.

Back
Top Bottom