UV sterilizers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zoe

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello...

I was just wondering...I am setting up a 70gal s/w FO tank...do I need a UV sterilizer, and if so, what size?

In my option you don't need a UV unit at all. Many people run them and they feel the UV has a positive effect on their tank.

I for one ran a UV unit on my 45 gal FOWLR tank and 1 year later I went to check the bulb to see what I needed to replace it with and discovered the bulb had blown at some point in time during that year. I have to say I never noticed a difference so I have no idea when the bulb blew. Given that I just removed the UV unit and have not run one since.

I would classify a UV unit in the optional but not needed category. Other equipment that would fall under this would be fluidized filters, chillers (only really important in very hot enviorments like FL or So Cal), and calcium reactors.

Hi,

For what purpose(s), do you recommend use of a UVS? Has anyone come to the conclusion that running one during a bout with ICH brought back health to their fish?

I am able to offer one very positive experience using my sterilizer. When setting up my original tank, 75g, the live rock available to me was covered everywhere with bushy green hair algae. Within weeks of turning on my UVS, the algae disappeared from my tank. A not so positive side to this... all macro algae died as well. I was able to replace the macro algae, and I was very glad to be done with the 'forest' of hair algae.

Sue

Sue,

I have a different perspective on the hair algae. I'm glad the UV was able to make your tank look better but...

I look at algae as a nutrient sponge. If there is excessive hair algae that tells me that my tank has excessive nutrients in the water. I must then do something to reduce the levels of NO2 and/or PO4. Both of these substances are proven to be detrimental to skeleton building corals if found in excess quantities.

If I add a chemical, or UV to eliminate hair algae instead I will have even MORE nutrients in the water because there's less algae to remove it. This seems really detrimental to me.

Any thoughts?

Guy

Guy,

Great discussion, great food for thought!

Actually, the abundant hair algae I experienced in my tank in massive amounts was brought in by purchased pieces of live rock from LFS to begin my reef. The stuff may have gone away on its own, but I was willing to encourage its demise with the UVS from the git go. (And, after this algae was gone, I found hundreds and hundreds of tiny tube worms throughout the rockwork!)

Would you use a sterilizer if you found ICH crop up on your fish?

Sue

I can't speak for Guy, but the only time I would recommend a UV would be for possibly contolling green water issues in ponds. I have 2, I use neither, the last time I used one was to clear up a bacterial bloom I was having after fricking around with tank parameters and causing a spike, about 7.5 years ago. It was unnecessary to use it then, I simply didn't want to wait a few days for the tank to stabalize and take care of it themselve. I do believe they should be used! In the LFS and the wholesalers, but in units that are huge!!! Guy mentioned a 110W UV, this IMO is still to small to be effective at flow rates for a average sized aquarium. I'm talking aboout the 6-8 foot 200-300Watters, those are effective at reducing parasites and bacteria and viruses, but only it they go through them. In a home aquarium the stress level of the fish should be able to be maintained at a low enough level that they remain healthy.

UV on Ich

Hi.

I E-Mailed the Manufacturer of my UV and they agree with you all, on Ich in its infancy can be killed with a UV at a slow flow. Live and learn :lol: . Guess I will replumb it and try. As for wether or not it is needed I truly feel it cant hurt,Why not let it work on the items its supposed to before a problem arises. Only my opinion.
Here is the E-mail from the manufacturer.

EMS503

John,

I would install my Q25IL so that there’s about 75-150 gph flow through it. This will provide the maximum UV dosage and have the greatest effect on Ich. It takes a very high dosage to completely control ich, but it will help. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Sincerely,

Jeff Prochaska, MS, Aquaculture

Aquanetics Systems, Inc.

9885 Carroll Canyon Rd.

San Diego, CA 92131

858-348-2040 x106

858-348-2041 Fax

Zoe, I am not sure if you actually received an answer to your question or not, but thanks for asking it. I have learned as a result. (I had not considered the flow-rate of water passing by the UV light and how effective the water would be sterilized.) Keep asking questions, Zoe! =]

John, thank you for taking the time to quote the UVS manufacturer's response you received. We are all learning as we live, be sure. I guess one of the reasons I enjoy this SWF hobby so very much is the challenge it brings to my life. Giving my best to host these beautiful animals is very challenging and rewarding, and yes, sometimes disappointing!

Sue

CaliGal said:
... thanks for asking it. I have learned as a result. ...

The way I look at it the day you stop learning something new is the day you stop looking for more information. Regretfully there is no 1 person that knows it all. At the same time whats even worse is there are a lot of people who think they know it all.

luckily we don't have anyone on this site like that. But I have seen other message boards that will remain unnamed that seem to be full of them.

Sometimes I just sit back, read and learn....

:popcorn:

UV sterilizer

Hi You made a statment in your last post "Sometimes I just sit back, Read and learn" I like that and it is the truth. I have been going into the topics page latley. There is alot of information in these sites.
I have been in a few different groups also. In this site I think I have found one with regular people and not :D SWELLED HEADS .

Everybody thanks and keep up the good work

John EMS503

Back
Top Bottom