Vasoline on O rings in a marine tank ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Charlie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have been having a problem with O rings leaking on my Eheim 2227 wet/dry. I bought the unit second hand and am just learning the ins and outs of this unit.

I was told that "Vasoline" is recommended to control this problem with weeping O rings. I checked Eheim's web site and noticed that they sell "Eheim Vasoline" for their O rings. Can I use regular old Vasoline, the same stuff we've all had around the house for years, on my filter O rings without it causing a problem with any of the living creatures or bacteria in my system?

I also have a thick O ring lube/sealant that I use on the backyard pool filter but am afraid to use that stuff for my tank.

Herm... Vasoline's a pertrolium based oil, I'd guess it would make your skimmer go crazy for a bit, but overall be fairly harmless. I'd go light on it though...

Are these O-rings in a place where you could just wrap threads in plumbers tape instead?

Are these O-rings in a place where you could just wrap threads in plumbers tape instead?

Nope - They are push-on fittings with rubber o ring seals. One of them is leaking quite a bit while I wait for the replacement o rings to get here from Eheim in Toronto. It has been a real pain in the neck coping with the tank leakage every day. I guess its something that you have to deal with when buying used filter equiptment.

Back
Top Bottom