Very new to S/W

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

easyian

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just turned my 90gal F/W into S/W and I have a few questions. Do you need to have LR in the tank b/c that stuff is very expensive at my LFS. And I'm not about to spend 800.00 on 100 pounds of LR. Next I have read posts about Reef tanks and am wondering the difference between a Reef tank and a regular S/W tank. My final Question is about cycling. Can you do a quicker fishless cycle by adding straight ammonia to the water like you can with F/W. Thanks for any info.

Do you need to have LR in the tank b/c that stuff is very expensive at my LFS. And I'm not about to spend 800.00 on 100 pounds of LR.

Not Required but Highly recommended.. I do know that some ppl use base rock instead of all LR to make things cheaper.. BTW ordering LR online will make things much cheaper... www.liverocks.com is a good place.. about $150.00 shipped per 40lbs... With a 90gal tank though i would recommend about 1.5 to 2 X the volume so 150 to 180lbs of LR.. It really adds to the tank with live creatures and such.. Ordering online also helps you get more creatures on your LR as LFS sort thru and take the good creatures out..

Next I have read posts about Reef tanks and am wondering the difference between a Reef tank and a regular S/W tank

Reef tanks have LR along with corals, Inverts, More expensive Lighting about 3-5wpg, and sometimes anemones... More of a natural Feel..

Can you do a quicker fishless cycle by adding straight ammonia to the water like you can with F/W

I have heard of ppl doing this as it is a better method than cycling with Fish.. If you buy LR online you can usually add the LR to the tank and it produces ammonia to start the cycle..

To also note.. LR is a bit expensive but well worth it.. I have a 55gal tank with 100lbs of LR in it and to think what it was without the LR is pretty sad.. It really made the tank... Check around online as LR seems to be much cheaper online than anywhere else.. You may get "bad" creatures such as Mantis Shrimp but thats what makes it more fun... www.liveaquaria.com has LR for like $99.00 for 45lbs plus shipping.. total is around 150.00 as well.. www.Liverocks.com seemed tome to have to better rock though... More life on it...

HTH,
James

Glad to be of assistance.. You might want to read what others say as well..

I am still kinda new to this aswell but I have read numerous books since coming to SW... Was into FW for along time and it got boring not enough color.. nor aggressive enough.. I had red bellied piranahs and black piranahs both are boring but extremely hard to kill.. Speaking of which i revived both by sticking an airline in thier gils and placing them in 85f water.. Anyways SW can be expensive but is extremly fun with LR in your tank.. Every day i must sit in fromt of the tank to find new things.. whether it be a purple starfish or an odd looking crab its pretty fun..

James

Don't think you will get too many resposes from US vendors. I would highly recommend >>J&L Aquatics<<. Their livestock and prices are excellent. You also get free delivery in the lower mainland on orders over $20.00.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom