VHO, T5, PC for Actinic Supplement?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MadManMac

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have looked for a comparison and cannot find really what I need to know. I am trying to upgrade my lighting, and need to know which type of actinic supplement is the best. This will be to go along with 3x250 hqi MH 20K bulbs. I know you are going to say I do not need the actinic with 20K, but I like the blue hue and I love the dawn and dusk look too. So, to the point, is there really a difference when working with actinics? TIA.

I added t5's to supplement my MH and to achieve the dawn to dusk effect. I considered t5 HO but I wanted a nice subtle light before moon lights and the t5 was perfect.

I like VHO actinics. PC actinics just don't compare to them IMO. T5's may be a good option also, but VHO's would give you more lamp length and thus more even coverage. Go w/ either VHO or T5 IMO.

What about heat? Which type creates the least heat for the light that it outputs? Also, what type of difference do you see in the types of bulb, is it color, quality, intensity what? Thanks.

Also, what type of difference do you see in the types of bulb, is it color, quality, intensity what? Thanks.
I can't remember the specifics, but PC actinics are not "true" actinic lamps. If I can find an article I'll post a link. As far as heat goes I think they are all about the same. If you can deal with the heat from the MH you most likely will not notice any additional heat issues from the fluorescents. HTH

Back
Top Bottom