vic's 29g reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

victor.m

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey all,

I had previously posted a couple of threads about building my new 29g and with many questions..well finally I am here to have my official build thread! I've learned a lot of new information although 2 weeks ago I THOUGHT I already knew everything I needed to know. A few hundred dollars later and many many hours of hard work and attention to detail and my 29g is finally well underway.

Here are my current specs:

- 29g Aqueon Display Tank
- 10g Aqueon Sump/Fuge
- 5g Aqueon Quarantine
- Koralia 3 850gph Powerhead
- Odyssea 198w MH+T5HO (1x150w MH 14,000K + 2x24w T5HO Actinics)

- LFS Approx 300gph overflow
- 1" PVC Sump overflow drain piping
- 3/4" PVC Sump return piping
- Rio 1700 return pump (approx 300gph @ 4' head)
- Marineland Visi-Therm 200w heater
- Standard mercury thermometer

- JBJ C-Scope Refractometer
- Seachem Marine Basics test kit

- 20lbs of live rock out of a 4 year established reef aquarium from a fellow reputable reefer
- 10 lbs of Florida base rock
- 35lbs of AragAlive live sand (did not want to deal with rinsing)

So it's been a bit of a journey..finally between yesterday and today I got my sump built/baffles, went through a used 29g and then moved to a brand new 29g and stand.

Tank started off slowly but is now full force with my cycle about halfway through..ammonia is almost null and nitrites are pretty high. Finally able to test at home too with my seachem kit!

I plan on having all kinds of nifty corals and hopefully with time keeping some SPS. I also want to keep all kinds of softies and some LPS. No idea what to do with stocking yet but I know I want a lemonpeel dwarf angel, if I can keep it from nipping my future corals!

Things I am still undecided on..

- HOB Skimmer? I know some advocate heavily against it..but I have seen some effective ones.
- What bulbs/ballast to upgrade the Odyssea fixture to?
- RO or RO/DI? Is the DI really necessary? What unit to go with?

Thanks and I plan on keeping this updated as much as possible! All feedback, criticism, comments always welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_0108[1].jpg
    IMG_0108[1].jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0110[1].jpg
    IMG_0110[1].jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0111[1].jpg
    IMG_0111[1].jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0115[1].jpg
    IMG_0115[1].jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 69
And a few more.

Attachments

• IMG_0114[1].jpg
    IMG_0114[1].jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 59
Just got my SpectraPure 100gpd RO/DI unit in :) Luckily my tap outside has really good water pressure. It's creating some RODI water like a boss.

Got some updated tank shots coming soon..my cycle has finally completed thanks to some wonderful LR I got from a fellow reefer!

w5T8Z.jpg

uzZm7.jpg

Back
Top Bottom