Volitan Lionfish Advice Needed Newbie Here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jasonanatal

Aquarium Advice Activist

I was wondering if anyone if any experienced aquarist could help me. I recently started a new 30 gallon Marine Tank about one month ago and added a Volitan Lionfish, Starry Puffer and a Turbo Snail. My Volitan Lionfish (named Achillies) gets feed two times a day with 1 frozen krill each feeding. Normally he goes wild and one gulp the krill is gone. Today he completely ignored the krill and didn't eat. Is something wrong? I he being feed too often? I'm nervous and hoping that when I get home tonight he will eat. Please advise!

I would not worry about him not eating for one day. Are you feeding him other things besides the krill?

I am sure that you have already been told that that starry puffer can get up to 2 feet long? It should only be kept in an aquarium that is several hundred gallons.

Your turbo is also going to come up missing very soon. I would start putting his face on the backs of milk cartons :(

Good Morning Demodiki,

I am currently just feeding him Krill I have shrimp pellets but he ignored them when I dropped them in. It seems as though he enjoys the hunt of something moving. When do you believe that I should start to worry about his eating habits? Is their a better schedule I should be on? As for my Starry Puffer and Turbo Snail I have a divider in the tank because when I introduced the Starry Puffer my Volitan Lionfish took a couple of attacks at him. So the Turbo Snail is on the side with the Lionfish. Any ideas also on if I should remove the divider since it seems that their territories have been established? Thank for your advice in advance.

I believe that your schedule is fine but I would try and feed him other things. These guys really like to eat meaty foods...shrimp, fish, etc. Try feeding him a more varied diet and I bet you will get a better response.

How big are these fish already? If they are of size, they may be stressed and that's why they are not eating. That Lion also gets to be very large...up to a foot in length. Your 37 gallon setup is not going to be able to sustain even one of these guys.

You are looking at needing a tank in the 2-300 gallon range with some excellent skimming and frequent large water changes (they are messy eaters).

You may want to think about taking both of them back and getting something more appropriately sized for your tank.

I believe that they will kill eachother shorty after you take that divider out. Either way...they are probably both doomed if you don't take them back.

Well they are just babies now. The lionfish is approximately about 2 1/2 inches to 3 inches in length and the starry puffer is approximately about 1 1/2 inched to 2 inches in length. I am just starting and I am currently putting together two new 125 gallon tanks for these guys. Just wanted something to start with and get to know them.

I am curious I see the lionfish shake his bottom fins alot with the puffer is near. I am gathering that this is a sign of stress as his breathing picks up when this happens. I am just trying to keep my little ones as happy as can be.

i have a volitian lion, he will out grow your 30 gal pretty fast, i had my baby lion for 2 months and hes went from 2 inchs to 6-7 inches. I feed him Shrimp, Krill, and gonna try feeding him silversides soon. GL

You need a minimum of 100gal for the volitan alone.. He needs plenty of rockwork and cliffs to perch on as they tend the sit vertically on cliff faces etc. If you have that 37 gal divided you are only housing them in 18gal housings. You NEED to return them now or get your 125s up and running in the next week or so.. IMO

No offense, but part of your problem is that you have fish which need a much larger aquarium in order to thrive. Suggest you research minimum tank sizes prior to purchasing any new fish. Good luck!

KG

it is good to see that your lion already takes prepared foods, i wouldnt worry about him going without food, in the wild they are opportunistic hunters, they only eat when the food comes to them, if he doesnt eat for a while try a live fish, this will pep him up. The lion is a great fish, puffers however are problematic, if you ever want corals keep him right away. Also as this is your first tank be sure to keep a watchful eye on your ammonia and nitrite and nitrate levels, they are all over the place when u first start putting fish in. Best of luck with your new expensive hobby

Back
Top Bottom