want options on sump design

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfreek

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok now that I have the sump that I am going to use I have been thinking about how I am going to put all of the plumbing together. I have come up with the following sketch.

I plan on using a 10 gal tank for a refugium adn then a 30 gal tank for a sump. have both tanks drilled have water flow into the refugium from a Y in the plumging of the return pump. Put a valve in the section going to the refugium to slow the flow rate.

Well here it is.
The dashed lines represent the water level.
------EDITED on JULY 17th----------
The graphic that was here was removed because kevin posted a much better graphic of the plan.

That looks pretty good, but some of the lines were unclear. I took the liberty of doing a diagram that is what I believe is what you were saying, but if not, is probably how I would do it....

diagram2.gif

Yes thats the idea. except I had the pump return line split with a valve going to the refugium vs having the overflow drain line split.

either way a valve needs to be put there to control the flow into the refugium so the flow rate will be nice and slow vs the sumps

I would put it on the drain line, because you don't want any additional reduction on flow from the pump. Also the water directly from the tank is more likely to contain food for the refugium and stray pods that can live in the refugium...

Usually, the overflow from a refugium is dumped back into the tank so as not to kill any critters with the pump impeller.

True but that would only work if the refugium was above the tank. Since the refugium is going to be in a room behind the tank and its going to be lower than the tank it needs assistance to get back up to the tank.

I know other hobbiest that have the refugium below tank level and do not have isssues with all the pods getting chopped up by the impeller. I am sure some would get chopped but many of the smaller pods I can see would make their way thru the pump.

My main goal is to use it to grow macroalgae to A. help stablize the Ph to some degree since I plan on either a 24hr or 12hr (opposite photo cycle) on that tank. Also, if I should elect to get a tang for the tank having a remote location to grow algae for the tang to eat would be a benifit.

I have a refugium that sits below the tank level. Mine is working out fine. In my situation it just wasn't possible to sit above the tank. I have to agree that a lot of pods probably do not make it like this, but there's still a lot who do. The explosion of the pod population in my main tank confirms that. For me, the main purpose was moreless growing macroalgae and outcompeting problem algaes, specifically turf algae. In my case, it has done just that.

I still think having it above the tank is the best way to have one. Unfortunately for me, it just wasn't an option.

Stephanie

Well as I type this I am 1/2 thru building the stand for the sump. I will post photos as soon as I finish.

If the need should arise for filter media I will place it infront of the outflow for the main tank.

Back
Top Bottom