Want to start saltwater tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pseudomugil

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Could anyone give me an estimate on how much this tank would cost to put up? It would probably be a 10 or 20 gallon tank (I know, larger tanks are easier) and I wouldn't really care about lighting etc. For livestock I would probably want to do something like this:

2 ocellaris clownfish
8 blue leg hermit crabs
1 emerald crab
2 nassarius snails
3 Cerith snails
1 condy anemone
1 black brittle star

No coral. Seem like too much work.

You would definitely need a 20g for a pair of clowns, FYI you'll need intense lighting (read:expensive!) to house any anemone. They can be much more difficult to care for than most corals. It's hard to put a figure on the cost of set up. My 10g was about $350 (australian dollars) just to give you an idea. Best to do some research, many different ways to set it up so ask plenty of questions then we can suggest equipment from there. Hope that helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If you want new...I'd say buy a 20g with Petco's dollar a gallon sale...maybe do the Tao LED knockoffs in eBay for $80...$20 for sand...live rock depends on if you start live or buy dry and local prices, as some places charge outrageous prices. A hang-on-back skimmer would be good, but if you stay up on water changes, not absolutely necessary ($100ish?). Maybe $30ish for a heater if you need one where you are. Stands can vary depending on style and quality.

Look on places like Craigslist, as there are often great deals. I've got all four of my tanks there.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom