Want to try Xenia - Advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gimincorp

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello,
I want to try keeping Xenia reef. I've heared it's fairly easy.
My concern is that my tank registers .25 ammonia reading (Ammonia test).
So, here are some specs:
10 Gallon started March 27th 2008.
Salinity 1.024-1.026
Temperature 74-79 F (will start getting more accurate logs from tonight).
Ph around 8.2-8.6
Stocking:
1 clown fish
1 yellow tail damsel
6 (?) turbo snails.
1 Haitian pink-tip Anemone
some aptasias
Other:
Live sand bed (1/2-1" thick)
Live rocks
Will Xenia coral live in that setting?
Could someone in NYC metro area share some of your Xenia with me?
I'm also looking for Chaeto macro algae. No shipping.

Last edited:
Hmmm..

Well for a 10g tank I think you are going to run into issues with what you have already.

Your tank stats are a little vague...

Any ammonia in a tank means you aren't cycled or your bio-filter isn't keeping up with what you have in the tank.

How long have you had this tank set up? How much LR do you have? What other kind of filter are you using on the tank? It sounds to me that you aren't through your cycle yet which is going to put a lot of strain on your critters.

Hmmm..

Well for a 10g tank I think you are going to run into issues with what you have already.

Your tank stats are a little vague...

Any ammonia in a tank means you aren't cycled or your bio-filter isn't keeping up with what you have in the tank.

How long have you had this tank set up? How much LR do you have? What other kind of filter are you using on the tank? It sounds to me that you aren't through your cycle yet which is going to put a lot of strain on your critters.
1. I had my tank since March 27 '08 - purchased complete setup (not sure for how long previous owner had it.
2. A couple of pieces, didn't weigh them - will do today.
3. No filter other than air driven box for past two days. Plan to put either Fluval 204, Fluval 304 or Eheim Pro II - didn't pick yet.
Oh, I just upgraded light to 65 Wt 10,000K!

You can have some of my Xenia and a small baggie of chaeto. UPS should be 1 day from me to you. I have some Xenia (small frag) that just popped up on a smaller rock. I was going to remove it this weekend.

I'm assuming you are in New Rochelle. PM me if you want to meet soemwhere around Bridgewater, NJ.

Back
Top Bottom