wanting to start a tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

00steppie00

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay I have had fresh water fish for a long time but I decided I want to try a small saltwater tank, but I don't even know where to start, I have a 10 gallon tank ready to be set up. Any advice will help.

Go bigger. Ten gallons is harder to keep and you have very few options with fish etc. Bigger is better. I recommend no smaller than 55 gallon. You will eventually want bigger.

At the moment I don't have room for a bigger tank and I only want a cow fish.

Well of you want a cowfish the minimum recommended tank size is 250g! You will have to check out some nano fish for a tank that size and some beginner ones at that :) I know aquarists who have been in the hobby for years and still won't attempt a cowfish...

Wow! Well that is good to know, thank you. I guess I will just wait till next month when I move and can get a bigger tank.

Also can you tell me what this is?

Attachments

• green-mandarin.jpeg
    green-mandarin.jpeg
    7.1 KB · Views: 66
It's a manderin dragonet. Also a difficult creature to keep as they are hard to feed. Liveaquaria has a beginner fish section - check it out ;)

Start here :)
Important Information for Those New to the Aquarium Hobby - Aquarium Advice

Having a saltwater tank, it is extremely important to not buy something blindly without researching first. It can make costly mistakes too and unlike FW, corals and fish aren't as tolerant or hardy. Patience and research is the key to success in this hobby. It takes time, but really does pay off. Ton of threads, articles, videos, etc. you can look to help too.

Back
Top Bottom