Warm water reason?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DepWraith

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a new (1 month) 65 gallon drilled tank sitting on an enclosed stand. It has a Deep Blue Triton 3 pump in the sump with an in sump Reef Octopus Skimmer and I have the 36 inch Marineland Reef LED.

My water was originally around 84.4 degrees with the house temp usually at 77-76. The tank doesn't get any sunlight and isnt near any heat sources. I removed the transformer (only thing I noticed heat coming from) from inside the stand and temps lowered to around 82.9-82.4.

Any thoughts on why the water is so warm? The LED's aren't giving off any heat towards the water. Is it possible either the pump or skimmer (both new) are the cause or does anyone have other possible causes?

Any other options other than a chiller? (like is it ok to have the glass hoods off the top?)

Taking you glass tops off would be beneficial in two ways one being better gas exchange and two allowing heat to escape the water therefore being beneficial to you.

Beat the Heat: Aquarium Cooling Methods by Kevin Kocot - Reefkeeping.com

If your aquarium has a wooden hood or canopy that houses the lighting and has a heat problem, there are a few options. Glass tops over tanks reduce the amount of water that can evaporate and thereby increase the temperature of the aquarium. Removing the top may be a quick solution. If there is a concern about the animals jumping out of the aquarium, eggcrate available at hardware stores can be used to cover the top of the aquarium or the open back of the aquarium. If the heat problem isn't being caused by the greenhouse effect, try using fans to ventilate the hood.

Taken from the site posted was the paragraph that made me post the whole site to you.

Lots of ideas posted about cures for the heat. As you suspected some heat sources are all the submersed pumps. They all give of a significant amount of heat which is why external pumps are better. Unfortunately they're not always an option, especially in the sump. A cooling fan blowing across your sump will help significantly as well.
For your DT circulation pumps, the ones with the motor that mounts outside the tank with magnetic transfer impeller will help as well.

Appreciate the quick replies, will try taking the glass hoods off and go from there.

I put a little clip on fan blowing across my sump and lowered the temp by 2 degrees. Quick, easy and cheap.

Back
Top Bottom