Washing Sand!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Djangom

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I took Carey's advice and washed pool sand. A lot of work... but it only cost 5 dollars for 50 lbs! Its nice and clean now... ready to go in the tank... :)

Glad it worked out for you. :) I find it's worth the extra work when youre dealing with a lot. lol

You're using pool sand in a saltwater tank? Personally, I always favored aragonite, as it dissolves over time and helps maintain the pH in the aquarium. Little more expensive, but cheap enough at PetCo in 20# bags, and better for the aquarium in the long run. JMO

i agree, although using the pool filter sand isn't a bad thing as loong as its the right kind that won't leach silicates or anything harmful into your water.

aragonite just seems to help things more and its a natural sand in reefs silica based sand is not

won't do much, keep it the way it is and let it build up its life. there are other ways to get the PH up and live rock is calcium based aragonite rock anyways

Maybe I can get some aragonite and mix it in too...

Don't think mixing the two would hurt anything, especially since you don't have the tank set up yet. As Gti stated, LR will also help with buffering the pH.

I've used pool sand twice and havent had any issues with ph. It's all a matter of the live rock and doing water changes. :)

I've used pool sand twice and havent had any issues with ph. It's all a matter of the live rock and doing water changes. :)

No doubt that is true ~ but I never said it would cause issues with pH, I said that arogonite would help with pH issues. Not everyone is faithful with water changes and when we get a little lazy, which we all do, having that llittle extra buffering agent can make a difference.

Truth of the matter is, I know individuals who have used play sand successfully and even one fellow who took sand from a local lake (that tank is still up and continuing to run successfully by the way). Anything can be done if one wants to work at it hard enough. I simply pointed out that the arogonite is better for the tank in the long run.

Back
Top Bottom