water change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clark4feathers

Aquarium Advice Freak
after using the "raw shrimp method and things on the test side are groovy...do I do a water change and of course remove what is left of the shrimp? before I add any fish?

So Amm tests 0, Nitrite tests 0 also, You should have some reading of Nitrate. If so, Add a CUC.
Then slowly add fish, One or two first up. Wait awhile then same again.

How much LR do you have?

yes, a water change and remove the shrimp. i don't think anyone needs a cleanup crew though. add those things like snails and crabs and such only if you like them.

You dont add snails because you want too? They help keep your tank clean, and remove detris which cause nitrate.
Throcus Snails and Turbo Snails are the best imo, a brittle star, Couple of hermits. Thats a pretty basic CUC, Once your tanks established you can move on to your urchins, shrimps and what not.
Imo, You need a CUC for a healthy/good looking tank.

na, snails, crabs, and starfish aren't nearly as good as a mag float and water changes.
you don't need a cleanup crew at all if you are diligent with your husbandry.
IME, "cleanup crews" are nothing more than a marketing ploy to sell livestock.

Yea, my cleanup crew is just for fun. They dont do anything that I cannot do. My skunk cleaner shrimp does an excelent job in the rare event that my fish let something hit the bottom. (they might miss something due to the occasional fighting over food).

Still fun to watch all the critters at work! And they are the cheapest, by far, additions to the tank!

MAtt

I have been looking at a few ideas for a CUC only because I would like a shrimp and starfish. I plan to add them after my tank cycles. Then Add my SC and a clown. I like Gobies too
Any ideas on on having a CUC and a Gobie?

i'd watch the starfish my chocolate chip ate one of my nass snails and some of my sponges of my l.r. going to setup a 10gal tank just for my starfish,i'm thinking of getting some low light corals.

gobies are fine with snails, stars, and shrimp.
what starfish are you thinking of? many are difficult to keep and are not for new tanks.

Hmm maybe a starfish is not the best idea. Any ideas for a newbie is greatly appreciated. I am not sure I trust the LFS 100% Better advice here. Already changed my idea from LS to just sand.

If you do go with a CUC, add it a month or two after you add fish to avoid starvation. Most liverock already contains some sort of CUC to begin with such as mini brittle stars and bristleworms that hitch-hiked. Chocolate Chip's are not reef safe and will go after coral.

Last edited:
If you do go with a CUC, add it a month or two after you add fish to avoid starvation. Most liverock already contains some sort of CUC to begin with suck as mini brittle stars and bristleworms that hitch-hiked. Chocolate Chip's are not reef safe and will go after coral.

Unless you have a sixline wrasse...:( Mine seems to have cleared out my mini brittle stars and worms...

+1 on the waiting for the CUC! My nassarius snails ALL died due to the little feeding I do.

Matt

oops...Little typo in that, didn't notice until after you quoted me. :rolleyes: You might think that they are all gone, in reality, there are a bunch still in your rock, they tend to stay inside of the rock when not feeding, few will "hang" out in the water column. You should also have quite a few in your sand, assuming you have sand. I have my doubts about your sixline eating ALL of them. ;)

oops...Little typo in that, didn't notice until after you quoted me. :rolleyes: You might think that they are all gone, in reality, there are a bunch still in your rock, they tend to stay inside of the rock when not feeding, few will "hang" out in the water column. You should also have quite a few in your sand, assuming you have sand. I have my doubts about your sixline eating ALL of them. ;)

Good to know, as I will be putting some of the live rock into my new 7.5g pico (when it gets here) to excelerate the cycle (if there is even one with cycled rock) and to seed the tank with critters.

Now I just need to get some bioluminescent brittle stars! My LFS guy says he has a lot, but when I metioned buying some from him, he acted like that was odd as he thinks they are quite common to have. :confused:

Matt

Back
Top Bottom