Water change??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RICH305

Aquarium Advice Freak
When do I have to do these water changes?? How many gallons I have a 84gallon tank thanks!

I have had this tank running since march 2 and haven't did a water change

Have you cycled the tank using a fishless method or with fish in the tank?
Once the tank is fully cycled and then stocked with fish you need to top off with fresh RODI water every few days to make up for evaporation. You need to a 10% weekly partial water with salt water mixed the day before (12 - 24 hours) or 20% - 30% every other week.

cmor1701d said:
Have you cycled the tank using a fishless method or with fish in the tank?
Once the tank is fully cycled and then stocked with fish you need to top off with fresh RODI water every few days to make up for evaporation. You need to a 10% weekly partial water with salt water mixed the day before (12 - 24 hours) or 20% - 30% every other week.

I did a fish cycle GO COWBOYS!!

So I have to wait for the tank to cycle before I do water changes right?

Just.A.Bit.Salty said:
:censor: Would be a Cowboy fan who cycled with fish ... lol

*** lol I was new and followed what the lfs told me on the cycle...well now I kno lol

you could use fish to cycle, its probably faster but its not the humane thing to do. it puts so much stress on the fish, burning their gils and destroyign their reseratory system.

we say to do a fishless cycle because we are all aquatists that care about the life that we have growing in our aquariums, which is why alot of use get into the hobby

I agree with Gti Leo, but let's not begin the cycle game guys. Many of us support the fishless cycle method, but we can not force our ways upon others so i believe we should leave this discussion at that and try and get back to the OP's question.

The information that cmor gave about water changes is spot on and that's actually the water change regiment i go by. I feel that doing water changes weekly instead of bi-weekly or even longer, just keeps the water more pristine and it really decreases your chances of having a system crash due to some unforeseen problem with the water quality. Plus, it's just good aquarium husbandry. Doing more frequent water changes also helps keep nuisance algae in check, diluting and taking out the excess nutrients and nitrates, giving the algae less food for growth.

Are these test results good? Can I have finished my cycle? It's been running since march 2??

Attachments

• image-2137094950.jpg
    image-2137094950.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 78
As mr.x said..... " dilution is the cure for pollution"....or something like that,.... " thems good words" IMO

I think the issue is alot of us start this hobby by going to our lfs and their methods are the fish cycle. Had I known i could simply do it with a piece of raw shrimp I would have saved the money. Unfortunately like most i joined online forums a bit to late.

jsmith said:
I think the issue is alot of us start this hobby by going to our lfs and their methods are the fish cycle. Had I known i could simply do it with a piece of raw shrimp I would have saved the money. Unfortunately like most i joined online forums a bit to late.

Just like me!! Lol but u can't knock it if it works we were only new to this hobby.so what can we say??

Yea, if it wasn't such a pain, doing a 10% daily pwc is probably the best thing you can do for your livestock.

With fish in tank for cycling that 10% a day pac is also a good idea.

Good luck with the tank.

Back
Top Bottom