Water Change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rpeterslll

Aquarium Advice Newbie
When Changing water, what method is best to use to put the water back in the tank? I don't want to dump a ton of water in all at one time and disturb my livestock. Is using using pitcher common?

Also is it a good idea to remove my the while changing the water?

Also is it a good idea to remove my the while changing the water?

I;m not sure what that means, but as long as you don't stir up sand all over the place or dump the water right on a coral that doesn't like flow you should be okay. Really, I siphon the water out and pour the new water right on top of my leather in the front, i figure it likes flow and after the water hits something the flow is lessened.

that's just me though. other people use siphons to get the water back into the tank as well.

Since I only have about 5-6gallons of water to change out, I use a 1.25gallon plastic pitcher, that I purchased for refills and top-offs.

You can use a Mag Drive (cost $$, though) to pump the water from the bucket source into the tank. The water will come out just like a powerhead and not disturb anything.

I forgot to mention that I refill from the fuge rather than the display tank, usually. Don't seem to have any ill effects if i just fill teh display tank, but it seems like there's more room for error.

you mentioned about distrurbing your liverock... I was told you want a lot of water flow through your LR. I have powerheads aimed directly at my LR. This helps the die-off to leave the rock and gives movement witch helps the bacteria grow.

Back
Top Bottom