Water change or just add RO water during cure process????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caco

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a RedSeaMax running for almost 2 weeks... I just add (today) a Jumbo raw shirmp to start...but last week I add 1 galon of saltwater (ready) but I'm not sure if during the cure time if I should only add RO water to compensante the evaporation or if I should do 10% water change every week?
Thanks for your help

I'd just top off with RO for evaporation. Water changes during a cycle will only prolong the cycle. In my opinion, the only time you need to do water changes during the cycle is if you have something alive in the tank that you want to stay alive.

Thanks I'll do that...I do have a fire shrimp and some snail to help with alge problem...but I'll keep an eye on the ammonia reading.

when you say fresh water you mean RO is that right?

Sorry yes that`s what I mean. Actually RO/DI would be better. but yes I meant the RO.

Thanks I'll do that...I do have a fire shrimp and some snail to help with alge problem...but I'll keep an eye on the ammonia reading.

Hmmm... snails and shrimp don't like any ammonia, so I take back my advice. Either take the living stuff out of the tank and cycle it, or keep an eye on the ammonia and don't let it get much over 0.25ppm. It's going to take frequent water changes to do this. It's really preferable to cycle a tank without anything living in it.

Back
Top Bottom