Water change schedule for new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dtorre125

Aquarium Advice Regular
So my 54 corner tank is roughly 38 days old, I've done a 20% change followed by a 30% change in the past two weeks (this was also in efforts to dilute stress coat I used). I was planning on waiting 2 weeks before my next 20% water change. I know a weekly or biweekly water change schedule is pretty common but was wondering if there is any benefit by not changing water in beginning stages of a new system?

Are you using a skimmer >that will remove the sludge from the stress coat
water changes most likely wont remove it , since the film floats on the surface of the water ,

I never use stress coat in a saltwater system

is the system fully cycled

Bi weekly water changes are ok till you start adding stock and start feeding
remember the trick is to go slow , start with 1 or 2 small fish wait around 2 weeks add 2 more than wait 2 more if adding any larger fish add 1 and wait 2 weeks
just be sure they are compatible and get along with 1 another and they don't over rate your tank size ,

I was actually trying to dilute it so my skimmer wouldn't go crazy. Should I just run my skimmer and let it overflow until it stops?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Been advised too do that on here b4, the skimmer pretty much starts overflowing immediately, I'm nervous it could drain my tank to much.

you can always do what I did ,
I drilled a 1/2 hole in skimmer cup about a 1/16th of a inch from the bottom
added a 1/2 inch tube into hole and glued it in ,
after it dries add a hose and run it to a big milk jug
saves having to empty every day I like having it like this just replace milk jug weekly throw away the one with skim-mate

My skimmer actually already has a hole in it, I guess I'll premix some water And if it drains too much I'll be ready.

Back
Top Bottom