Water changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Horvy19

Aquarium Advice Freak
When I filled my 14 gal biocube with premixed saltwater from tropaquarium I was left with 5 gallons of saltwater. It's in a jug with a tight lid. Can I save that for water changes or is useless if it sits?

Horvy19 said:
When I filled my 14 gal biocube with premixed saltwater from tropaquarium I was left with 5 gallons of saltwater. It's in a jug with a tight lid. Can I save that for water changes or is useless if it sits?

I've used water that sat in a bucket about a week after, I threw a power head to aerate it and a heater to temp match. I'm not really sure if your suppose to use it but I did.... Once.

If you really need to use it then I would just test the pH and salinity before using it.

EDIT:

After further research. It seems time span varies some say 2 days, some say 4 days and some say weeks even. BUT everyone agrees its best to circulate it with a power head before adding it to the tank.

Last edited:
Good to know. What also makes the saltwater tank so hard is all the different answers people have. This site is great and will be a great helper along the way.

Water storage is just fine. I keep a 32g trash can with a powerhead & heater and about 25 gallons of SW ready at all times, in case I need to do either a large water change or fill a QT tank on short notice.

I have mixed SW in a plastic garbage can circulating for weeks with a powerhead sometimes. I fill a 1 gal water jugs sometimes for top off while I mix a new batch and am waiting for it to be done mixing and use the 1 gal jugs days later with no problem. Bout the only thing that happens to the garbage can is that periodically I have to empty it and wipe off the sides and bottom cuz of deposits. IMO as previously stated as long as you circulate it you're fine for quite a while.

Back
Top Bottom