Water Changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

143gadgets

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have been using tap water for water changes in my tank, but these diatoms are geting crazy. I can't afford an ro/di ubnit at the moment. I want to know if i buy distilled water at the grocery store will it work? The three fsh stores near me don't sell water. What do u think i should do?

How old is the setup? You are going to have diatoms on a new setup no matter what water you use. Store bought water is fine.

I'm using distilled water. Used it for fill up, using for top-off and water changes. Ordering an RO/DI in the next couple weeks, but the distilled has been great. WalMart has it for like 55 cents a gallon.

So yes, distilled will work, and I know WalMart's TDS is 0. :D

ASpec said:
I'm using distilled water. Used it for fill up, using for top-off and water changes. Ordering an RO/DI in the next couple weeks, but the distilled has been great. WalMart has it for like 55 cents a gallon.

So yes, distilled will work, and I know WalMart's TDS is 0. :D

Walmarts brand? Or do they have a fill up station?

the bulk water fill-up stations are good, but sometimes they don't change the filter as often as they should, so while the water is still clean, it may not be true RO/DI water anymore.

i am new to ro/di water, i want to know to we have to add buffer to the water after we mix with salt or usually don't have to?

The salt mix should be all you add to the RO/DI water. Let it sit with a heater and ph for 24 hours before adding to the tank.

Back
Top Bottom