Water changes during the initial cycling.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishlips12

Aquarium Advice Activist
The issue came up yesterday about water changes on an initial setup. There was some differences of opinion and I need some advice since I will be starting my first tank here in about three days.

Here is my set up;
55 g corner tank
130w PC
4"DSB
75 pound of live rock.

The major argument was that partial water changes should be done during the cycling process to avoid the ammonia spike that may kill off critters on the live rock that will be beneficial later.What are peoples thoughts on this?

How much and how oten of water change should I do?

Last question is do I put the live sand in at the very beginning or wait until the nitrates level off?

Please help

Im pretty sure that you wanna put the sand and the rock in at the same time that way it can all cycle together. Thats what i did at least! :D Not sure about your other question, i didn't do any water changes when i cylcled my tank and i haven't seen any problems so far. I have noticed that i haven't had any "hitch hikers" on my LR. That could be due to the fact that the high amonia levels killed them or the LR just didn't have any.

The major argument was that partial water changes should be done during the cycling process to avoid the ammonia spike that may kill off critters on the live rock that will be beneficial later.What are peoples thoughts on this?

Please don't mistake cycling a tank for curing LR. I know it seems like semantics, but they are different things, one is taking a sterile environment and creating a biological filter, the other is taking a depressed filter and enabling it to cope with the demands of your tank. There are already bacteria and life forms on uncured LR, but the die off creates an overwhelming amount of ammonia, in that instance you should do water changes and ru a protien skimmer. If you are simply cycling a sterile filter or dry base rock, I do not recommend waterchnges.

Kevin ,First off thanks for responding. So with my current set up mentioned above I will be getting in 75 pounds of live rock ( that will need curing since it is being shipped) this will be my biological filtration (no unecesarry bio -balls,carbon filter etc...). so you are suggesting to do partial water changes, How much and when. Or am I still not getting it. :oops:

How much is very debatable, I would recommend about 20-50% every other or every few days. The last rock I cured, I changed 50% every other day, and it worked splendidly. The rock cured in about two weeks and the amount of life that popped up immediately was staggering.

The thing about waterchanges during curing is the cost, 50% every other day tends to get expensive quick, so you'll have to find a shcedule that fits your budget and lifestyle ;)

I don't think there will be much die off from the rock that I am getting , just enough to srart the cycle hopefully. It comes out of LA and I am here in San Jose. Anyway thanks again. If it wasn't for people like you helping newbies like me I would not pursue this hobbie.

It comes from the South Pacific, makes a stop in LA and then is shipped to other people, there will be plenty of die off, I assure you ;)

if you have not already ordered it - you may wanna go for cured LR. if your a first timer like me there is a lot to learn (non too difficult) but i agree with reefrunner it's a bunch of work and if your lifestyle allows you to cure then go for it. i tell ya, this forum is super helpful too!

well if i get cured LR the tank wont cycle.....please correct me if I have this wrong. Either way the saltwater is mixed the the fed ex truck is on the way with the LR.

even if you were to purchase cured LR from a LFS you could simply drop a single cocktail shrimp from the supermarket into the tank and it will supply all the ammonia you need to kick start your cycle. but if you LR is already on it's way then that's the direction you need to concentrate on.

Well the main reason I got live rock via the mail is the price 3 bucks a pund versus 5 bucks with 70 pounds I saved 140 bucks.

I do still need to get live sand to add to my 4"DSB. Any suggestions on how much to get. I basically need to simply " seed " the exisiting sand right???

Back
Top Bottom