Water flow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cb24

Aquarium Advice Freak
How many circulation pumps does a 90 gallon tank need? Any recommendations?

Fish only or reef with corals?

I use two 1500's koralias in my 90g and it is fish only. Perfect flow for my needs. If you have coral you would want that as a minimum, preferably higher or an additional pump or two here or there.
:)

Hmm if it were my tank, I would get the 2 1500's and maybe an extra 550 or two. Alot depends on the coral you want to keep. Some may like the extra two 550s' but one might be ok too. Also will depend n how you have your rock setup. You want no dead spots ever, even behind the rocks. Any buildup will cause nitrates to rise which is a bad thing. lol

I keep a low profile rockscape in my 90g so the two 1500's are pointed at the front glass slightly upwards to keep good gas exchange which will also help keep your pH stable. :) The way the water flows in my tank keeps any poop or gunk from sitting on the sandbed, it all gets pushed up into the water column to be caught and skimmed.

I would start with the 2 1500's and go from there though. It might be enough flow with out adding the 550's. But if you are gonna keep SPS for instance you will for sure want more than the 2 powerheads.

Hope that helps. :)

Good luck

On my 90 I currently have 2x 1600 gph and an 800gph powerhead plus about 450gph coming out my return line. And I feel I still need more flow.

The flow rate is usually 20 to 30 times your volume of your tank but can depend on what type of corals you choose to have if you're going for more of a SPS then I would go for the 30 times and if not could go to 20 times but these are just rough guidelines some people go higher some people go lower also has a lot to do with all the way your rocks laid out where most of of us try to aim to have no dead spots.

My 75 has a Jeboa WP40, two Korallia 1050s, and then dual return pumps running around 1000 GPH total between them. I have the live rock in the center of the tank with the WP40 facing left on one end, a Korallia on the other end facing right with the other Korallia on the rear center facing front. Each return comes in at a rear corner and are wye'd off to locline with a flare nozzle. The lowest flow areas are right in the corners for mushrooms and a clam. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397402670.031569.jpg

Back
Top Bottom