Water for the tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdergar

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just curious about filling the tank with water. I've read that you must use RO water otherwise you end up with all sorts of string algae even after using water conditioner? Do you need to use water conditioner with RO water? What about filtered drinking water (the filtered system that Home Depot sells)? Thanks...

Steve

Just curious about filling the tank with water. I've read that you must use RO water otherwise you end up with all sorts of string algae even after using water conditioner? Do you need to use water conditioner with RO water? What about filtered drinking water (the filtered system that Home Depot sells)? Thanks...

Steve

RO/DI water is not mandatory but HIGHLY recomended. You can check to see what you local water quality is on their web site. (Just google your city+water). I started my tank with tap and had no issues but I was LUCKY. another option is the distilled water at Wal-Mart. It is not RO/DI but it would be ok. the tap filters at home depot will remove clorine but not much else. In the long run you will want to buy a RO/DI filter but I would suggest going with the Wal-Mart option until you figure out if you are willing to do the work to enjoy the hobby. Craig's list is covered with people that spent A LOT of money and then decided it wasn't for them.

BTW you don't need water conditioner with RO/DI or the walmart option.

I too would suggest an RO/DI unit. I work for a large water municipality. It is treated with nitrates, phoshates, chlorine, flouride and other hard metals. Excellent for treating water for us humans but bad for our reef tanks.

I think I will do the distilled water and add the RO/DI unit in a month or two. I guess with partial water changes I don't need a high output model. Maybe 35gal per day or so.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom