Water parameters and clean up crew questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maria819

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi! Today I tested my water parameters. My tank has been cycling for just over two months. It's a 40 gal breeder. My salinity is now going between 1.024-1.025 and the temp is around 74•f. These are my water parameters as of today (attached). I'm wondering if its time to add a clean up crew. I've had my eye on a scooter blenny but I've read they aren't always compatible with fish and other clean up guys. Can anyone give me some good ideas for a cuc? One fish I definitely know I want is 2-3 Bangaii Cardinals maybe a coral beauty or flame angel and unsure about the others. I have no current plans for any corals, just fowlr right now. Here's a link to my tank album so far with some hitchhiker pics I posted in another thread!! Thanks for the help!! http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/78383-albums.html

Attachments

• image-736498417.jpg
    image-736498417.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 75
CUC kind of depend on what you want/ what you want to be taken care of. I personally like emerald crabs. I've read many threads that say they are very safe with fish. They are too slow to catch any, that is unless a fish is already on the verge of death and not swimming. They will eat a large variety of things including some algae and detritus. They are good for bubble algae too, one of the few. They so fight with each other though.

I have Nassarius snails are good as they stir up the sandbed. During the day the hide in the sand with their snorkels sticking out. When lights off they come out. Nice not to see snails out during the day.

Thanks for the info!! Are the nassarius snails okay with hermit crabs? What about these guys with electric blue hermits? Anyone know anything about scooter blennys? Does anyone think its too early for a cuc? How long after the cuc is added should I wait to add my first fish?

Getting a cleanup crew before you have anything to clean up isn't a good idea. Most will starve to death due to no build up of food in the sandbed. I would get CUC after the tank is more established.

Getting a cleanup crew before you have anything to clean up isn't a good idea. Most will starve to death due to no build up of food in the sandbed. I would get CUC after the tank is more established.

Do you mean after fish are added or that I should leave it empty with just my hitchhikers for longer?

I added a cuc to my cycled tank in about two weeks. They all survived. They dont need alot to survive. Theres always stuff on your live rock to eat. I added fish months down the road so i didnt start feeding till than. Enerald crabs if they have no algae or food to eat will starve to death, and will turn on your coral

I guess really I need to know where to start since it appears my tank is ready for animals. What do I add first? Fish? Cuc? Should I wait for more coralline?

Coraline algae is a sign of a healthy tank. Your rocks will turn purple in time. As long as your nitrates nitrites abd ammonia is low you can start adding animals. Cuc

I would add a simple clean up crew to give your self something to look at, while you research on the fish you want. Do a thorough research which will save you hassle in the future. Compatibility with other fish, food, space etc.. Im picking up my first pair of clownfish today :)

I would add a simple clean up crew to give your self something to look at, while you research on the fish you want. Do a thorough research which will save you hassle in the future. Compatibility with other fish, food, space etc.. Im picking up my first pair of clownfish today :)

Thank you so much!!! I do have some coralline already. My ammonia, nitrates and nitrites are all at 0. Sounds like I'll be going to my cuc this week!! :)

Today I got 3 Astrea snails!! I used a shorter drip acclimation for them. Hope they'll do ok!

Hi,

When you do go and get your fish remember not to put too many fish in the tank in one go.

Thanks so much for your help everyone! I've been doing a lot of research on here about adding my fish as my lfs is Petco and the don't always give great/correct info. I recently added 2 Bangaii cardinals and they seem to be happy. They love feeding time. I can't make out their sexes and I know it's very hard. I attached their pictures to this post. Thanks again and keep an eye out as I'll be making another post soon to try and get some advice on what to add next. I'm certainly in no hurry but I do like to have a plan lol!!!

Attachments

• image-1435001766.jpg
    image-1435001766.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 46
  • image-3130846916.jpg
    image-3130846916.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 59
Those are nice i plan on getting two as well in the near future. Just waiting for my clownfish to get settled in my tank as i bought them last monday

Those are nice i plan on getting two as well in the near future. Just waiting for my clownfish to get settled in my tank as i bought them last monday

They seem to adjust well. The lighter colored one seems to get wound up when I'm standing at the glass and sometimes tries chasing his/her reflection. It's also been chasing the other BC around but they don't appear to be aggressive. They're really very pretty fish

Back
Top Bottom