Water question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lauramichelle

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok. I hope to at sometime make my own water, but for now I purchase 5 gal per wk from my local coral shop. I have a 20 gal tank and do a 5 gal change each week. What with lv rocks and all, it's almost a 50% change each time.
About 8 wks old setup. CUC and 6 corals in tank. No fish yet. I just purchased a test kit. Amon <.25 and nitrate 0. (before a water change)
My ques is how long can I store the water I buy before I actually use it? If I can by four 5 gal containers at once, It would reduce trips to the shop.
Thank you

You can keep the water in those containers for quite a long amount of time. Cover them with a lid and you should be fine. With 4 buckets, they will hold for a month no problem.

On a side note, any reason you're doing 50% weekly water changes? With no fish to produce nitrate, you could stand to do a bit less of a water change; or less frequent changes.

Have you tested your calcium, mag, alk yet? Depending on the corals, your levels may be fine for less frequent changes as well.

Yep, you can store the water covered for awhile. I usually keep about 20g of emergency water in 5g jugs just as back up and I let them sit a week or two sometimes. But I always cycle through it just to use it, not sure how long it can stay like that.

I got a question though, how come you have an ammonia reading? Are you feeding the tank or adding anything like supplements? Did you already cycle it?

I change 5 gal at a time because it just seems the most convenient. As for the ammonia reading, it was "less" than .25. The chart color was clear as was the test water. I checked because I tried feeding plankton to my coral with a squirt feeder and thought i may have put too much. I was also afraid one of my crabs might have died. Everyone is always talking about ammonia spikes and I was worried.
I'm doing a water change tomorrow and may place a royal gramma in the aquarium on thurs or fri.

Carey, if I let the water sit for a week or 2, do I need to stick a pump in it or something for water movement a day or so before I use it? I usually put a heater in a day before its going to be used. Thx

I just store regular unsalted water so I let it just sit in the jugs. If it's salt water youre storing then I would suggest a powerhead in the bucket to get the salt mixed back up when youre ready to use it. :)

Back
Top Bottom