Water testing...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lsmizay

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have read several posts and lots of them relate to testing the water. I am wondering what exactly are the testing supplies. I have only used strips that test Nitrites, Nitrates, PH, and Alkaline. Althought I have seen posts where other things are test. So long question short, what else should I be testing for and what should I use to do so?

Ye, great question.
I would ask the same, but don't want to burden the people here too much.
How can you read how much Ph u have just from strips???

There are lots of different test kits on the market. To get you started and not break the bank AP has a Reef Master test kit that will get you going. Basically you want to test PH, Nitrate, Nitrite, Ammonia, Calcium, Magnesium phosphates. The strips are not as reliable as their liquid counterparts. I would suggest either getting a kit that has most of theses tests in it or buying them individually. I used Salifert and AP for the most part. Buying them online will save you $$

The strips I have are red for PH. There are 5 levels of red from 7.2 to 8.8. I just have have to match my red to see within 0.2 PH.

Oh, I see.
But I don't like the prices in stores just for stupid stripes...
Ph costs like 8 Euro's (that's like 11$) for a single Ph kit with strips I think. I'm not sure if it were strips or something else.

@rusila; You kinda hopped in the middle of the thread. Looks like you're freshwater. If you are, PH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate will suffice

@rusila; You kinda hopped in the middle of the thread. Looks like you're freshwater. If you are, PH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate will suffice
I was justing letting it out ;)
But thanks for all the info. :)

Back
Top Bottom