water troubles :( Help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rejones21

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 50 gal salt, 4-6" sand base, two clowns, two damsels, coral beauty, small clean up crew. It has a custom filter and protein skimmer, perfect water when I test. I use Calligan water for additions and changes.

My tank is beautiful, EXCEPT, it always has a rust colored coating on the top of the sand. I try to reduce the lighting, (std lighting) and keep the blinds down. I thought it was the lighting, but nothing seems to help. It just "looks" brown and rusty on the top of the sand. I WOULD LOVE any suggestions on this. I want the white clean sand. My tank is over a year old and the fish have done excellent. My clown fish breed and I have siphoned off and raise clark clowns. Most everything is great, except that my sand look horrible.

HELP. I have asked this question before on another board, but no one has ever responded with an answer.

Desperate!
RJ

Iv had that problem when i use tap water . Now i just use distilled water and havent had any more growth. May try to get more water flow in that area

Sounds like you need some sand sifting critters.. I use a banded dragon goby and nassarius snails..... However with the DSB, I'm not sure about the goby... Someone with more experience should probably chime in on that.... :)

Thanks!

I am having a terrible time getting some advice on this. I really appreciate your response, so sand sifters...... I have snails, I have crabs, but maybe not enough, should I get more, or maybe something different?

Thanks again for you response!
RJ

Can be any number of things, or combination of things. Can be your lighting schedule is on too long. Can be high phosphates in the water. Can be your lights have shifted and need to be changed. You can be feeding too much. A couple of sand sifting stars, or some nasurious snails may help. Maybe a cuke.

Sorry that all have for you are a bunch of maybes, but hopfully they will help you solve your problems.

Lets just start with the basics. How long has your tank been up? It may just be part of the inital diatom bloom. My sand looked like that for a few weeks coming out of the cycle as well. If that is the case relax. Eventually it uses up all the nuiterients in the water and it will subside. Do what these guys have already said (flow, lighting, etc) and all will be well.

Doan

Back
Top Bottom