Water turn over

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jwburleson97

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
[/quote]Generally total gph turn over should be around 15-20 times the tank size i.e. your 55 should have 800-1200 gph total. This can vary with coral needs though. (high flow corals can need up to 30 times turnover) I'd at least aim for a 15 times turnover.
Wow! I just bought a RIO 2100 (692 gal, but 375 at 4ft) do you think this is too much for my tank? I also have 2 Hagen 50 powerheads.
I don't have any plans for corals except maybe shrooms.

Not at all. Thats just a 15x turnover. Thats what I would do for fowlr probably.

^I agree. More flow helps keep detritus suspended, which aids in removal. It also helps push water through LR and LS to aid the biological filtration. FWIW I run a seio (620 gph) and a MJ 900 (235 gph) PH, along w/ a Mag 9.5(~ 500 gph at the output) on a wavemaker in my 55 for a total of ~1350 gph in my display.

That's after it pushes up 3-4' head height, and through a SCWD. My plumbing is only 1"(b/c of SCWD), and Mag recommends 1.5" w/ the 9.5 for maximum performance. All that and I do still have to throttle it back a very little bit. I could probably get another 100-150 gph when/if necessary.

I just bought a RIO 2100 (692 gal, but 375 at 4ft) do you think this is too much for my tank
I didn't think this was overkill for my tank and based on above it's not. I hooked it up the other day and it nearly pumped the sump dry. The return hose the LFS gave me was a 5/8". The fitting calls for a 3/4". Also the prefilter didn't seem to be able to keep up with the pump. Please tell me what I've done wrong and what I need to change. I know I can use this pump I just don't think I have the right accessories. Thanks!

Ohhhhh boy.

Need lots more info. Overflow type, water column hight, pipe sizes, pumps, etc etc.

I'm with Marc on this...we need more info on your setup. I'm going ot say that you are using an overflow box and don't have a drilled tank. What kind of Overflow are you using? Do you know how many GPH it is rated at? 300gph, 600gph ect....These are things that we need to know but from what you have said it sounds like you don't have your overflow "started" they siphon I mean. It also could be that you don't have enough total water in your system to accomidate the additional plumbing and sump.

Ok, here's the scoop:
don't have a drilled tank. What kind of Overflow are you using? Do you know how many GPH it is rated at? 300gph, 600gph
Tank is not drilled. I do have an overflow, but don't know what it is rated. It is a single bulkhead. I bought it at the LFS. It came with the 15 gal sump. Currently I do have it all running using an Aqua Clear 70 for the pump w/ a 5/8" return line. I believe it's a 1 1/2" outgoing line. We ran the line through the walls and put the sump into the adjacent storage closet, so 4ft high and about 2 ft over.
Please let me know what other info you need. Thanks

Without the size of the bulk head I cant help out much. What I do know is that your overflow must be bloody slow for an AC70 to outpower it with that head hight.

Generally, if the pump is pushing more water than the overflow can keep up w/ you'll need to install a ball valve and a "T" in your plumbing, after the pump. That will enable you to lower the flow going to the main tank without burning up the pump. Just installing a ball valve to restrict the flow, with no "T" to relieve pressure/return water back into the sump, will cause excessive wear on pumps that are not pressure rated. You can get away w/ just installing a ball valve after the pump if desired, like this page shows towards the middle- http://www.melevsreef.com/sump.html

Is there any water coming out of your overflow plumbing at all?
Yes. And when I clean the inside of the glass or brush off the live rock (while it was curing) the water would be crystal clear within 20 minutes or so.
Pretty sure the overflow is rated at 300 gph.
you'll need to install a ball valve and a "T" in your plumbing, after the pump
Yep, I was afraid of that, guess there's a trip to Home Depot in my future. I'll try to install it this weekend. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom