wavemaker timer or SCWD?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

unagi

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am just getting a 90 gallon tank up and ready. Will eventually want a few corals but going to start out with FOWLR. My question is about a wavemaker. Should I get a wavemaker timer strip (coralife) and purchase 3 maxi-jet 1200 ( I already own one) or should I purchase a SCWD with a max drive 9.5 pump (or is there a less expensive comparable pump?) Keep in mind I have no sump. Thanks for the help

The SCWD works nice and will keep the pumps out of the main tank. If you get the SCWD go with a mag 12 instead of the 9.5

I would definitely go with the SQWD, but I'm not sure about using the Mag pump in an external application. The front housing is kinda thin on these pumps. I don't know of a better submersible pump though and the Mag pump is rated for external use. I would be much more comfortable with a true external pump such as an Iwaki or a Blueline. The drawback to this, of course, is price. I would go with at least a 1200gph pump and, if I bought an external, I'd get one that was pressure rated. JMHO.

I agree with the mag 12 that will supply ample water flow if you are looking for a little more just pop a couple power heads close to your coals.

Back
Top Bottom