Weekly water changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Melissajk

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a quick question. I have a 50 gallon rimless cube with a sump. I do weekly water changes and vacuum my sand each week. I usually do 8 to 10 gallon wc.
My question is: should I vacuum the sand every week. I was wondering if I'm talking to much of good stuff out.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I was getting high nitrates, so I started vacuuming the sand and it came down, also I feed my fish less food.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I am not an expert but I am sure there is a scientific reason why you shouldn't disturb the sand bed in salt tanks, something to do with potentially releasing harmful gasses? Perhaps someone can clarify that or explain it properly?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I do believe releasing harmful gasses is with a deep sand bed.

I do believe releasing harmful gasses is with a deep sand bed.

It is. Op IMO if you do it frequently it probably won't be a problem but as stated earlier it really shouldn't be necessary if you have proper flow. I personally never do it, but if done frequently I doubt there would be many trapped nutrients to be released into the water column.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

In a dsb there is the potential of releasing hydrogenated sulfate into the water colum upon disturbing the sand bed. Your in luck I've been researching this a lot. I decided to do a dsb in my main display. I also originally had a 2 in sugar fine sand bed once a week during my routine water change I would siphon off detritus being sure not to get to deep into the sand bed because there is good bacteria and micro fauna you want to keep alive. Ultimately I decided I didn't want to has the with siphoning my sand bed anymore so I started researching the dsb. I will say there is a lot of things that need to be taken into account for this method but ultimately the benighted should pay off. I can say that when my sand bed was only 2 inches I was having 10 to 20 ppm on my nitrate tests until I started siphoning of detritus my nitrates went to 0 to 5 ppm. After I added Chaeto and a better sump refugium my nitrates went to 0 and have remained 0ppm. I do have 1in of mud with 1in of sand over the top but nitrates have remained at 0ppm for months.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom