Welcome comments from more experienced

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FortMyersSteve

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This is my plan for a tank that will have only shrimp in it, saltwater shrimp. Please comment if you see any issues. I'm a newbie.

20 gallon tank by Carolina
sand substrate, so shrimp can burrow and hide in the day
no plants in substrate; I'll have come floating plants; I have had too much trouble trying to keep plants in saltwater tank. They don't thrive and the nutrients in the substrate seem leach into the water raising ammonium and nitrite and nitrate.
I own both an Eheim 2211 bannister filter and a Whisper 20 hang on back. Any comments on which is more suitable. I think the Eheim may be too powerful and suck up a lot of sand.
No volcano rocks this time - they look good but just reduce the spaces where shrimp can burrow.
at least initially, no feeding with shrimp pellets. I will grow copepods with live phytoplankton and put that in the water.
I will start tank with nothing living; put in some ammonia and bacteria bought online, measure and wait for cycle;
use tap water that has been left out for 7 days so chlorine goes away (does it really) and mix with sea salt to 34 ppt.
when tank is fully cycled put in 12 shrimp, all at once (too much?)
once shrimp reproduce, I'd like to have a separate smaller tank for the little ones to grow in until they reach maturity; I don't know much about this and will have to read up; I gather the newborn are called nauplii, but I don't know if you can see them with the naked eye, or if you sieve them out with a fine membrane of ?micrometers.

So this is just a shrimp tank? If you use tap water make sure you make a batch of sw and then do a water test on that batch. You might see that you are adding ammonia and nitrates to your tank. If that is the case you'll need to get a RO/DI unit. You also might want to add some LR to the tank for the shrimp to hide and sleep in.

You are going to need sand and rock for the shrimp. The nutrient issues wouldn't be from the sand, but most likely from the food you're putting into the system. Liquid foods like what you mentioned foul up water columns, which is why people have separate setups to grow live foods.
In terms of the bioload, shrimp have almost none and wouldn't be anything I'd be concerned about. I'd be focused on removing the gunk from the water column coming from your food.

Also tap water would possibly give you more diatoms outbreak possibility. On a small tank like that water changes should be lightly needed and buying RO water would be an alternative, and top off evaporation, with the RO water as well.

Little rubble rocks probably. Which shrimp have you in mind for the tank?

Back
Top Bottom