Well, MTS has hit me...badly.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marconis

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just this December, I got a 46 gallon tank. Then this month, I got a 20L. Now, I want a SW tank... :). However, I don't want a big one, nor do I want to spend tons and tons of money on it. I am looking to put one on my desk and even 1 fish is good enough for me.

How small can I go?
How much would I be spending?

I want a SW tank!

honestly I would go with something like 12-20 galls if I was gona go "nano" (unless I wanted something like 5galls, cause thats awesome too, I have dont that before)
so maybe a 10 gall even?
are you looking to go reef?
if so...out of just a wild guess im going to say on price

10gall tank-$9.99
20lbs sand- $20
depending on price of LR... (around here it is $7.99 lbs, but I have heard of it being lower, and I buy mine online) so lets say about $70 ish....? (thats usually the biggest expence)
personally on one that small I would just do a HOB or somthing like a ac 30 or somthing....
lighting, roughly $80 ish?
now this is tottaly a guess but I would think that is "about" what it would take to actually get it started (I lied, I forgot the test kit lol, thats about $17 ish)
tottal guess though LOL Ive never done a nano...(well I did a 5gall nano, but I diddnt use LR, and I used an hob filter)

I agree, a nano would work. You mat want to post in the nano-subforum, you will get tons of advice, experience and ideas. Starting SW with a nano can be more difficult do to less room for error because of less water volume.

follow Blazey but if your just going to want a fish or 2 an no inverts lighting will cost even less (could get a cheap hood with incandescent if your only using fish) in a tank that small (10 gal with aq 30) LR won't really be that needed

~edit could grab a cheap 10gal kit for ~$30ish with a hood.light and filter, add sand $20ish and fish and your set for $50ish + fish price. this won't grow you anything special though and you'd have to rework the lights or add some cheap CF lights that screw in (usually run 10 watts for actinic and what not) which would be low light to grow some basic items

As Scott said the smaller the tank the less room for error or mistakes. Dont think it will be easier the smaller the tank. IMO I always say the oppisite. The smaller the harder the tank. JMO. I also agree that you might be better off at the nano forum on this site.

I want a SW tank!
Good for you! That is the spirit we like to see.
How much would I be spending?
It really depends. You could spend as little as a couple hundred bucks and go WAY up from there. I will offer this...by carefully researching BEFORE you jump in and taking things slowly you WILL save yourself some money. Carefully plan your tank and timeline prior to getting started and do not forget to add in all of the little extras that seem to "nickel and dime" this hobby to death. Things like test kits, books, maintanance equipment, RO/DI water, salt mix, light bulbs, high-quality food, etc. seem to sneak up on you.

the first question to ask is what type of tank you want (FO, FOWLR, reef) and then begin to develop from there.

My first SW tank was a 10 gallon FOWLR. I used a stock 15 watt fluorescent strip light, had 20 lbs sand and 20 lbs LR, 1 fish. I had 2 powerheads for circulation but if I did that setup again I would have a HOB in addition, there aren't any good skimmers for a tank that small and it would have been nice to have somewhere to add some media. I think I set up the whole thing for ~$300, I got the strip light for free and I bought a $20 unfinished TV stand and painted it for a tank stand.

Just for an idea I set my 20 Gallon up not too long ago...

20 Gallon Tank - Already Owned
Stand - Already Owned
AC50HOB - Already Owned

From the local Fish Store I got..
Hydrometer - 10
Salt - 20
AC20 PH - 20
20lbs LS - 20
Master Test Kit - 30

Walmart -
10Gallon Buckets for mixing for like 5 bucks each or maybe even less

Kroger -
1 Raw Shrimp 1.00

Online from the Dr. site
LR - 16lbs for like 80ish + 8lbs base rock for 20ish
Rio NanoSkimmer - 35

Well guys, thanks for the help but...my parents are letting me set up another tank...:-(. I am sorry you wasted your time posting.

Back
Top Bottom