Wet/Dry Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Charlie

Aquarium Advice Freak
Think I'll replace the Eheim 2227 wet/dry.

I decided to order a ProClear Aquatics Pro 75 w/built in skimmer, pumps, hoses, pads, pre-filters & overflo box.

Think I'll ever get this tank stocked?!?

How long should I run the new wet/dry along with my Eheim wet/dry before removing the Eheim?

46 Bow FOWLR
Eheim 2227
AC300 HOB
Running about 3 weeks
No livestock yet

I would remove the bioballs and the tray they sit on and fill up the compartment half way with LR rubble instead. It is a much better filter media. That is what I did with mine. I also run PURA filtration pads on the drip tray. I have some pics of my converstion in my gallery.

I checked your gallery and see what you mean. Other than the rubble, I found many great images with beautiful aquascapes and loads of fish and inverts. Very nice.

Is there a good place to buy live rubble at a reasonable price? So far, I am not impressed (at all) with the Premium pre-cured live Fiji rock that I had overnight shipped to me. It looked dead when it arrived and it looks dead now, two weeks later. Rather disappointing.

Sure, just check with some LFS. When they receive rock it comes in large boxes and ussually have broken chunks on the bottom. Ask the LFS if they save thoses. If not, they may for you. If they do, they are most likely selling it already. Around here it is about $3/lb. You can also find it online.

Thanks for the kind words about my gallery. I appreciate it.

lando,

I picked up a bag of rubble from the lfs. It was stored dry, in an open plastic garbage pail. I rinsed it off and placed it in my tank for now. How long should I leave it in my tank to achieve some transfer of bacteria and/or coraline?

The new ProClear Pro 75 should be here in about a week.

Charlie,

Make sure you leave your Eheim in working status at least 2 months before you pull it out of your scenario because your tank has already cycled. If you pull it out too early your tank has a high possibility of cycling again.

-Jason

Trameltanz,

I was thinking of just putting the efhisubtrate from the Eheim into the new wet/dry filter until there was enough time for the bio balls and LR to culture their own bacteria. If I put the efhisubstrate above the bio balls it should help transfer bacteria with the falling water. At least that sounds good. :)

I may start the filter with some LR rubble on the bottom (submerged) and some bio balls above them in the dry area. Eventully, I'll try lando's suggestion and fill the sump with LR. I just got enough LR rubble to get started and its "dead rock" as far as I'm concerned.

Hey Charlie!

Sounds like you are on the right path. Be careful! That method may cycle the tank again. The closed system has to accomodate more living space for more bacteria.

:- )

I would not use the bioballs in the Pro Clear. Just use LR rubble. I would just set it up with the base rock rubble and run all other filtration for the next 2-3 months while the rubble cures and builds up a good bacteria colony. If it was dry, simply wash it off and you should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom