Wet dry to sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tate

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm going to get rid of my wet dry and get a 20 gallon tank sump. How do I do this with water in the tank and how should my overflow drain pipe go into the first section? Just stick it in there and how many baffles should I have?

I will get a picture of my current wet dry later

It's hard to add overflow to an existing setup...

When you remove the bio section (wet dry), make sure you use media into the sump, or it can create cycle issues.

I already have a wet dry and what do you mean use media into the sump

Ohhh okay

So if there's any biological filtration in this, you would probably want to put it somewhere in your sump temporarly so the cycle doesn't disturb...

Anyway, usually live rock do good biological filtration...

But your rocks seem a bit white on the your profile picture, is it dead rocks ?

Is the tank drilled or are you using an overflow box? Once I unplug the pump all the water from the tank stays put so if yours is the same you should be able to just switch them with no issues.

Drilled but when I turn it off the sump gets really full and I dont know where to drill a hole in the return line at

I don't think I will make a sump I'm just frustrated with my skimmer and thought it was the constant water level that changed it

You don't need to drill the return. You can swap them when you do a water change so the water line in the tank is low. Then drain water from the wet/dry filter pull it out and put the sump in.

Good idea and the skimmer isnt producing a foamhead it did once yesterday but the skimmate looked like cloudy water and I cant seem to get another one going maybe its because my tank is only cycling

Very possible the tank may not have much for it to filter yet since it is so new. How long has the tank been running?

That might be why there isn't much for it to take out at that point. You might want to turn it off until you finish your cycle.

why do you need to drill a hole in the line? simply unplug return pump, et the water drain until it stops, then pump water out of wet/dry into a storage bin, replace with new sump, pump water from container back into sump.... plug return pump back in... tada... sump installed.

So does filter floss act the same way as a filter sock? I want to get some sock but where would I put it in my sump?

Yea it is very similar it collects debris. Depending on your sump you can add it to the drain in the filter.

Back
Top Bottom