wet/dry trickle or refugium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

edwardclaxton

Aquarium Advice FINatic
right now i have a 125 pro clear wet/dry trickle... but I talked to someone who said that they are pretty much crap. if so could i make my wet/dry into a refugium easily? How would I do so?
moz-screenshot-2.png
moz-screenshot-3.png

I tried to attach a picture of it, i hope it comes up. if it doesnt i really could use some advice of how to do this. right now it only has 2 chambers where the water comes in over the bio balls then goes under one baffle where a sponge is placed then into the other chamber where the return pump is.
Thanks..

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 101
what are you trying to filter, a reef or a fish only? if it's just a fish tank, i would keep the wet/dry and it will do fine. if you are planning a reef, i would want to build a sump that will house a skimmer and possibly a refugium.

mr_X said:
what are you trying to filter, a reef or a fish only? if it's just a fish tank, i would keep the wet/dry and it will do fine. if you are planning a reef, i would want to build a sump that will house a skimmer and possibly a refugium.

Im wanting to put some reef with fish... I'm just don't know what I should do.. Maybe cut the baffle in the middle out and add baffles in places that I need or just add them to what I have

just add baffles where you need them, you never put a pic uo, you have to upload the image and post that link for us to see it, but most trickle filters can just add baffles and go from there, but with a fuge most would recommend goign as large as you can fit and can afford.

if its not to late try and return the wet/dry and just buy a standard tank and put some glass or acrylic dividers

Gti_Leo said:
just add baffles where you need them, you never put a pic uo, you have to upload the image and post that link for us to see it, but most trickle filters can just add baffles and go from there, but with a fuge most would recommend goign as large as you can fit and can afford.

if its not to late try and return the wet/dry and just buy a standard tank and put some glass or acrylic dividers

I bought it from somebody for 75.. With overflow and return pump... Ill try another pic.

Attachments

• 2011-10-08_23-53-47_486-1-1-1.jpg
    2011-10-08_23-53-47_486-1-1-1.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 346
  • 2011-10-08_23-53-47_486-1-1.jpg
    2011-10-08_23-53-47_486-1-1.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 374
  • ForumRunner_20111016_192505.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111016_192505.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 99
  • ForumRunner_20111016_192609.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111016_192609.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 98
oh for sure you can make that a refugium then it is a rather large wet/dry so you can just cut out the baffle and make your own. i'm guessign that is an acrylic sump to so getting some 1/4 plexi from home depot and a tube of weldon 16 will be fine for turnign that into a sump/fuge

Gti_Leo said:
oh for sure you can make that a refugium then it is a rather large wet/dry so you can just cut out the baffle and make your own. i'm guessign that is an acrylic sump to so getting some 1/4 plexi from home depot and a tube of weldon 16 will be fine for turnign that into a sump/fuge

ok thanks... And one more question.. The wetdry is 24 long 10 wide and 13 high... Where should I add the baffles and what do I need to cut the middle one out with? Just asking bc I know some metals if it gets into the water it will harm fish,inverts and or coral and reef..

you'd have to disconnect the wet/dry to cut it out the baffle, thats where it would get a little tricky and you may be able to use an exacto knife or a dremel

as for where to put the baffles, the first section should be the size of your skimmer, and the return pump section really only need to hold the return pump and heater

Gti_Leo said:
you'd have to disconnect the wet/dry to cut it out the baffle, thats where it would get a little tricky and you may be able to use an exacto knife or a dremel

as for where to put the baffles, the first section should be the size of your skimmer, and the return pump section really only need to hold the return pump and heater

Ok sounds good thanks..

boardsurfer said:
I had the same wet/dry as you have, and I purchased a new sump (See http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f14/sump-refugium-question-171738-2.html). But I bet it can be done easily as suggested above. After I converted from the wet/dry sump to a baffled sump (with refugium) - my nitrates went from 20ppm to <5ppm. Good luck!

yea I have been debating on how to do it.. I just had a decent deal on the wetdry and kinda jumped the gun.. But thanks you gave me a little more convidence it can be done...

Can I steal this thread for a minute??? :) Leo/Mr._X, I am building a DIY HOB Overflow. Once I finish that I am going to do a sump/refugium. My tank is a 45 but I want to go big so I don't need to change it out when I upgrade the tank. My space is a bit limited though so I would like to know what the minimum tank size would be to build the sump/refugium sized for the 45 I have. If I can go bigger I will but.......

rdnelson99 said:
Can I steal this thread for a minute??? :) Leo/Mr._X, I am building a DIY HOB Overflow. Once I finish that I am going to do a sump/refugium. My tank is a 45 but I want to go big so I don't need to change it out when I upgrade the tank. My space is a bit limited though so I would like to know what the minimum tank size would be to build the sump/refugium sized for the 45 I have. If I can go bigger I will but.......
It depends if you think you may make a bigger build and do away with the 45 then I wouldnt make a sump that is a min for a 45. I would atleast make it big enough for like a 55 to 75 gallon.. One of my friends has 40 long refugium for his 75 I think it may be a little big for his tank but going plus one is usually a good idea.. Meaning whatever you decide to to for your tank actually do it for a 55 even thou you have a 45. if you coulx find a 20 long that probably would do perfect for a sump for your tank and could carry over to a little bit bigger tank as well.. Hope thjs helped..

Thanks Ed. I assume it is Ed. LOL That was pretty much what I was thinking. Don't think I will go to big at this point because when I upgrade I want to go at least 6' long and if I do that, I will use the 45 I have now as the sump. :) My biggest concern at the moment was the min. size for the 45. I am thinking I wouldn't want to go less than a 20 long though or you would never fit the skimmer in and still have room for a refugium.

rdnelson99 said:
Thanks Ed. I assume it is Ed. LOL That was pretty much what I was thinking. Don't think I will go to big at this point because when I upgrade I want to go at least 6' long and if I do that, I will use the 45 I have now as the sump. :) My biggest concern at the moment was the min. size for the 45. I am thinking I wouldn't want to go less than a 20 long though or you would never fit the skimmer in and still have room for a refugium.

No problem sounds, like you have it figured out... And hope it turns out good for ya

Back
Top Bottom