wet to dry filter...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeyG33

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
If I use a wet to dry complete system.. specifically a E S Hopps WD 75CS would I still need to add a protein skimmer? I would be placing this on a 29G FOWLR. currently have a HOB and it is just not getting the job done. THANKS!

Whats the problem exactly? Usually anything 30 gallon and under with enough water changes usinv r/o water isnt a problem. Are you just under filtered? To me a wet dry on that size tank woukd probably be a waste of money. Just my opinion

ammonia is high.. I believe it is under filtered... the HOB is an aqua clear 50 with purigen and foam filter pad. 5 gallon water changes every week with RODI salt water.

Sounds like the tank isn't cycled witch wouldn't be a filter issue it would be a bacteria issue. How much live rock do you have?

I would start doing bigger water changes every week and maybe more often till it's corrected

tank has been set up for 8 months, and has approx 40lbs of live rock.

We need some more information if we are going to suggest some help for you.

What is the size / stock of this tank?
When was the last time you added live rock?
How often do you feed?
Do you have any powerheads?
What is the water change schedule?

Tank is 29G.... live rock was set up when tank was set up approx 8 months ago.... only thing in there is a fire fish. have not added any live rock since tank was set up. water is changed weekly with 5 gallon water changes with RODI salt water. tank currently has an aqua clear 50 HOB and with foam filter pad and purigen. ....all of that info i have said before.... feed twice daily with new life spectrum pellets, approx 5 or so pellets per feeding. have two power heads, one on either side of the glass wall. when i test the water ammonia is high.... the only question is.. like i asked... does a wet to dry need a protein skimmer? not sure why the rest of this info is needed just to know whether or not a wet to dry is adequate with or without a protein skimmer.

Tank is 29G.... live rock was set up when tank was set up approx 8 months ago.... only thing in there is a fire fish. have not added any live rock since tank was set up. water is changed weekly with 5 gallon water changes with RODI salt water. tank currently has an aqua clear 50 HOB and with foam filter pad and purigen. ....all of this info i have said before.... the only question is.. like i asked... does a wet to dry need a protein skimmer? currently ammonia is continuing to run high.

No to answer the question of does a wet/dry need a protein skimmer...

Stop feeding twice a day for starters. 10 pellets a day for a single firefish is too much. 1 pellet is plenty. I agree with skipping the wet/dry and addressing the problem.

addressing it how? wet to dry filter would help the water situation??

You have an excessive nutrient problem. This is why the ammonia. you tell me what sounds more reasonable:
1.cut back on feeding
2.Buy and install a filter.
You don't need the filter. There are many people with the same tank you have and much larger bio loads that are doing it.

Hi,
I'm the OP's fiancé. I'm fine cutting back on food. I'm just afraid the super timid firefish won't find a single pellet. Also, I want to make sure I'm not starving the clean up crew. Also this was a very sudden spike in ammonia level with no recent practice change on my part as far as feeding. Only new thing was the addition of a HOB filter, hence us finding possible blame with the filter. I don't see any harm in switching to a sump in addition to cutting back on feeding, right? It's not going to ruin me financially or anything. Plus it allows me to have an in simp type skimmer. Once my tank stops crashing on me, I want to add more fish anyway. :)

Ok, then build a sump out of a standard glass tank or purchase one, but skip the wet/dry and keep a refugium in it, or just a good skimmer. Bio balls don't complete the nitrogen cycle.

Back
Top Bottom