what about quickrete?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ohio reefer

Aquarium Advice Freak
i can't find any type of sand that has the "ingredients" in it. i saw some silica sand but i waited (bad mistake), now its gone for the season. my home depot and lowes only sells quickrete some other play sand from the garick company.

any suggestions?

mark

While some use silica I don't perfer it. You want a Ca. Carb. based sand. Like SouthDown, Yard right, Carabian Sea, ETC.

Southdown shipped is going to cost you more with shipping, than you can get a 40# bag of CaribSea Araginite sand for at a LFS... If you cannot find SD, YR, or OC anywhere, then Silica sand is ok to use....

The fears of silicates leaching really need to be squashed from being spread now, since many studies have been made to show that it is not a major contributor to doing this... The main thing IMO, is the way that the grains of sand are sharp instead of rounded.. This can cause irritation to the fauna and gobies, sifters that inhabit it...

You stand to get more silicates out of 10 gals of your tap water than 100 lbs of silica sand would leach in a year or two.... :wink:

CaribSea Aragonite, aka Southdown, is sold at the LFS here for $29 per 40# bag...

One bag of Southdown shipped from Idaho was $11.99 for the bag of sand and $47 for shipping per bag...Highway robbery if you ask me...

BTW, I would stay away from QuickCrete sand...also, look in other departments for the sand. My HD sells two brands of Play sand...QC and a BlueLabel..One in Building Materials and one in Gardening..

yeah i have silica playsand in my tank but i would do as timbo2 said and lookf for some playgrade sand as it will surely be cleaner than industrial grade sand

If you arent a member of a local reef club, join one, you might be able to find enough people willing to share the cost of a pallet of SD with you ;)

one thing i did was went to a concrete dealer in town and asked if they had some pure white sand. they gave me sand blasting sand which is a very pure white color. it was 6.50 per 75 lb bag. it has been in my tank for 1.5 years and no ill effects. so look around

did you ask what type of sand it was? like aragonite, silica, or granite (ingredients) theyhave all kinds of sand that states its pure but it never says what its made of.

very frustrating

mark

Back
Top Bottom