what do i need?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Annakhil

Aquarium Advice Freak
i will start my first SW next year after the holidays cause if your a parent you know how expensive they are! :brows:
i want to do a corner tank in my living room of a decent size i know above 30g, from the corner to out i have the space to go 2+ ft each way.(does that make sense).
i have another area to put a 55g but i am such a paranoid freak about a kid knocking it over, i know i know... everyone tells me there is no way this will happen but that's just how i am.
i want to know a list of the items i should need to have for the tank to be complete.
i hear people talk about skimmers but have no earthly idea what they are or what they are used for and i guess i could google but i think asking professional reefers are the way to go.
this also is just for while im black friday shopping(online) and i see something on this list for a good price, i might pick it up.
thank you in advance for any advice given!

ps. if you post a link i will not be able to see it because my boss has blocked almost all internet sites because my coworkers are idiots!:banghead:
not this one cause she likes me, we both have weird hobbies, i have this and she raises chickens...:huh:

Do you want a fowlr (fish only with live rock) or a reef?

Then you will need reef capable lighting (metal halide/ t5 Ho/ LEDs) which is usually the most expensive part of the build and a skimmer will be needed for a reed tank that size imo.what they do is send bubbles though a chamber of water. The surface tension of the bubble will grab small debris and organics out out of the water and bubble them up into the skimmer cup which will help keep nitrates down by removing the material before it has a chance to break down.

Then you will need reef capable lighting (metal halide/ t5 Ho/ LEDs) which is usually the most expensive part of the build and a skimmer will be needed for a reed tank that size imo.what they do is send bubbles though a chamber of water. The surface tension of the bubble will grab small debris and organics out out of the water and bubble them up into the skimmer cup which will help keep nitrates down by removing the material before it has a chance to break down.

i have three planted fw tanks so i totally understand the lighting issue, i think i would go with led just cause they have the blue lights built in and i always have to buy separate blue lights for my other tanks. i swear even my 10 g lights cost me total of $120

So you'll need:

Tank
Skimmer
Heater
Filter or sump
Rock 1- 1 1/2 #/gallon
Salt
RO or ro/di water
Sand (unless you go bare bottom)
Light
Hydrometer or Refractometer
2-3 powerheads
Thermometer
Water testing kits for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate,
pH, alkalinity (master kit should have all)
That should get you started, of course you'll need a few other things (food, turkey Baster, etc) later, but this will get you cycling at least. Good luck on finding deals!!

Makes it easier to spot feed lol you can also suck up stuff from the sand.bed with it

Turkey basters are great for spot feeding certain bottom dwellers and also corals. You might also need one for blowing sand off rocks that certain fish put there.

I finally decided a place in my house to put the tank just have to get Aaron to take the drawers out and close it all in and put in more support cause the granit itself weights a lot, the tank water rocks, all will be too much for what's there now, what do y'all think?

image-355380008.jpg

Please don't mind the box of dog toys lol that's their Xmas presents... Lol

Seems like a nice place, but would you have a HOB filter then? I don't think you would be willing to somehow drill through the granite to put in a sump or canister filter below.

I think he will have to make a shoot around the granite in the middle since that's the thinnest area, it will all be hidden, and I can suspend the lights from the cabinets

Awesome then. If you get the supports and such it will look great and there's a lot of space for maybe a BIG aquarium. :brows:

Sump is def. a better method of filtration. Canisters can be nitrate factories if not cleaned frequently which can be tedious. Plus you can put a skimmer in the sump (instead of not having one or having a HOB which is kind of distracting) and a refugium if you like.

Well looks like the largest size I could fit is a 100g but the issues are, I would have 3 in on each side open and I would luckily have 6 inches I could have on the back so pipes would have room.

Lots! will work. Here are some websites for aquarium sizes:
Standard aquariums:
Aqueon » Aquariums | Products
Standard/custom:
Glasscages.com - Glass Aquariums
For sumps you can do a cheap DIY sump and no need to spend $ on a stand. You can also look on craigslist for a cheap aquarium. Don't know if it's still going on or what (prob. ending today or tomorrow I think), but PETCO has a $1 a gallon sale up to 55 tanks I think.

Eeesshh, I need more than 55 to keep the fish I want, so more like 100 but looking on the custom site I could do a 120 tall , I swear this tank is going to end up taking most of my income taxes :lol:

Back
Top Bottom