What do I need for a cheap 20 long saltwater tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Xailiar

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am new to saltwater and want to start a saltwater tank. I want to do a 20 long, that can eventually maybe have some coral or something, but not right away. I wanna just start with like a pair of clownfish, an algae blenny, and some inverts, or something.

I already have a 20 long tank, hood and light (that came with it), blue LED "moon lights," a 100W Marineland Stealth Pro heater, and... uh... some aquarium sand and sea shells. Lol.

What do I need to make this happen, while keeping costs down? Also, what would you suggest to stock it with (that isn't going to cost a fortune)? I want to get all the info before I do anything.

I would toss the light and get some T5HO lights if you want to keep corals. Maybe look into the Current USA Nova Extreme SLR ( Pet mountain has some for under $100) or Nova Extreme Pros. That would be the most expensive part to a reef tank. Also you will need a few powerheads in the tank for water circulation, I'd say 2 Korila Nano 240 one on each end of the tank. ~15 lbs of dry base rock and ~5 lbs of live rock. Toss the sand as well and get some dry aragonite sand.

For livestock, I think a clean up crew and a pair of clowns, possibly a goby/shrimp combo is enough.

Another lighting option is FishNeedIt. They have good prices, but good fixtures too.
You'll need a test kit. API Master Saltwater kit will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom