what do you guys think.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

josh55

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hey guys just joined....

just to state what i have:

40 gallon tank
2 clown fish
1 yellow tang
1 sweetlip
1 small pink grouper
1 panther grouper

have had my tank with all these fish for about half year....
they seem and look happy!

thanks!

WELCOME!! :wave:

Glad to see you joined us. As for your stock list I think you will find you are severly overstocked or you tank is way undersized, however you want to look at it. :wink:

The challenge is some of the fish you list require at least a 150g-300g tank. IMO, some of these fish should not even be in the mainstream aquarium trade because the average hobyist is unaware.

Here is a related thread:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewt...light=&pc_tzo=-18000&pc_d=20061001&pc_t=76105

Not sure how long you have had all these fish together or what you current water parameters are. I would highly suggest you trade/return all but the clowns if upgrading to a much larger tank is not an immediate option.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Here is a good link to get some basic info of fish before you decide on any future tankmates:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/categ.cfm?pcatid=15

Otherwise for suggestions for a 40g your clowns are great and you could also consider 1-2 more suitable tank mates.

Suggest you update your "my info" profile to include information about your setup such as equipment, filtration, lighting etc so we can better assist in the future.

HTH,

thanks for the information man,

ive had them together as a i sed for a long wile now.. the clowns dont get bothered by any of the groupers in fact the the groupers hang with clowns... once i see its getting out of hand i am planning on upgrading to somthing big... but until then i think i should b e fine

WELCOME TO AA!!

Those groupers will probably make any of those fish a snack, when they get bigger. I do agree, some of those guys need a waaay bigger tank. I'm a little surprised you have kept water quality safe. I love the panther groupers....sigh....
Keep us updated and hang out more!

Is there a 0 missing from your tank size. Sweetlips and Groupers in a 40 gal.

If you are going to upgrade, you will need a multi-hundred gallon tank to accommodate those guys.

Don't be surprised if the clowns disappear when the Groupers get bigger.

Well since you asked. I`m also assuming you want the truth. I dont need to tell you because the other three members already told it to you. Most of those fish dont belong in a 40 gallon tank. And by leaving them in there you are stunting there growth and will be seeing health issues in the future. I`m even more amazed at the LFS that sold them to you. He should have been able to lead you in a beneficial path. Sorry about the bad news.

josh55,
Please don't feel like we are bashing you. Hang around and ask tons of questions, don't be intimidated. We are really only looking out for the fish. I can't speak for every one, but I have made some mistakes....ok a decent amount, but asking advice here, reading and listening, my tank is very successful! I admire you honesty and we can get you in ship-shape, in no time, of you are willing to hear what we have to say!

roka64 said:
josh55,
Please don't feel like we are bashing you. Hang around and ask tons of questions, don't be intimidated. We are really only looking out for the fish. I can't speak for every one, but I have made some mistakes....ok a decent amount, but asking advice here, reading and listening, my tank is very successful! I admire you honesty and we can get you in ship-shape, in no time, of you are willing to hear what we have to say!

ditto, how can we learn if not from reading, research, learning from others mistakes and tose of our own.

In the long run I think you will be much happier if you look at other options for the 40g. What you have is a potential disaster waiting to happen for yourself and the fish.

Shame on the LFS for selling them to you in the first palce, but then I have found some LFS employees uneducated in many areas as well. As I stated before some of the fish you have listed do not belong in the mainstream aquarium trade.

We only offer you this advice to save you the trouble of learning from your own mistakes. Too many people try SW and give up because they are mislead or uniformed and make mistakes along the way and then quit.

It is a great hobby if you are willing to be patient and learn.

Good Luck,

Please dont think we are bashing as we are concerned for you and your tank. But we would be less then a friend if we did not tell you the truth. It`s easy to tell someone what they want to hear but its the right thing to do to tell the truth. Hopefully you`ll do the right thing and be a happy camper in the SW business. Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom