what do you think to this setup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thepirate

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi,

i have only run a freshwater tropical aquarium before when i was younger. now that i have a bit more money and i have settled down i would like to setup a marine aquarium.

i have been reading a few books, reading this forum and visitng lfs over the past couple of weeks. from this i have a good idea in mind of how i would like my setup.

i would appreciate any adivce or recommendations on the system i have detailed below, there are also a couple of questions at the end with reference to things that i don't really understand and can't find the answers too:

the system will be built into a dividing wall with viewing from both sides (ie. two rooms) the plan is to start with fish and live rock with a view to adding some soft corals and inverts at a slightly later date.

main tank - 48x24x18
t5 lighting VHO flourecent
power heads x2
20kg live rock
20kg ocean rock
sand substrate

sump - 48x18x12
high quality skimmer
heater
uv sterilizer 20watts
refugium (question on this below)
filtertration system (possibly magic mud???)
pump - not sure which size yet?

possibilty of adding a second 4ft tank above the first at a later date for keeping a few large specimen fish, depending on how the inital setup goes.

questions.....any help would be appreciated....

filtration system, my lfs has recommended the use of magic mud as a means of filtration, i can't find much info on this so i'm not really sure how it works, however they are using it too good effect in the shop. anyone know how this works, or if a standard biological/chemical system is better?

i have also read a lot about the berlin system using only live rock and a skimmer for filtration the recommendation being that any bio balls are removed from existing filtration systems, i'm quite confused about this, with live rock already in a tank surely the addition of a filtration system is an added advantage not a hinderence to such a system.

refugium - the reason that i am going for such a big sump is for the extra water capacity and therefore increased fish capacity and stability. in doing this i will have quite a bit of spare space in the sump. i have seen reference to refugiums and as far as i can gather they are a place in the sump where live rock and invertbates are kept, is this correct? what size of reugeum would you recommend.

last but not least i was looking at buying a second hand tank to use as the sump. however i have been told by the lfs that if copper has been used in the tank previously it is absorbed by the silicon. this then slowly releases and kills all corals or inverts........is this correct or is he just trying to get me to buy new?

sorry for such a long post, i would appreciate any comments or advice on this setup and questions, i plan on setting the system up in a month, therefore my options and views remain very open.

hope to hear from you soon, thanks in advance

Mark

Your list looks good thus far. I'm assuming this is either a 75 or 90G? Add another powerhead in there for more filtration. If you want to be unlimited on corals, I would look at some more options on lighting before buying anything.

i have also read a lot about the berlin system using only live rock and a skimmer for filtration the recommendation being that any bio balls are removed from existing filtration systems, i'm quite confused about this, with live rock already in a tank surely the addition of a filtration system is an added advantage not a hinderence to such a system.
The berlin system IMO is the most sufficient method, and the least maintenance. As long as you have a good skimmer, 1 - 1.5lbs per gallon of lr, and good filtration from the powerheads it will be strong enough to take care of itself without the need for additional equipment.
Bioballs used to be the method, but over time nitrates would overcome the tank creating problems.
Do NOT use copper in the main tank at all. If you want to cross over to a reef system, inverts etc. will not tolerate it.
Sumps are great for hiding equipment, stocking reef rubble for filtration, and providing extra volume to your tank. With this tank, I would add a sump. You can add a refugium to the sump now, or later for additional filtration and food. HTH

Mike

the skimmer that i have decided on is a deltec asf 600. has anyone any experience of this skimmer, is it noisy?
any other comments on the system would be appreciated.

Mark

I haven't personally read any reviews on this particular skimmer. Someone else may be able to chime in if they have used it before.

Mike

Hey I have almost the same set up as you with a 80G tank and 27G tank

My advise:
use a big sump
use the berlin method (you will see the tank from all sides and you don't want to have to much LR in the main, you can put additional LR into the sump)
Use the return hose from the sump as powerheads (no tank cluttering)
Have a lot of hiding spaces and don't buy shy fish

Back
Top Bottom