What else do I need to keep corals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamal-188

Aquarium Advice Addict
After my tank is ick free and up and running again for several months I plan on adding some corals/anemones. My tank now is a 110G 31" deep fish/invert only tank due to my lack of lighting. I am going to order 250x2 MH's some time when I figure out what I want. I also have a wet/dry filter that runs 600GPH w/ a sealife protein skimmer in the sump. 1/2 of my DSB is in and the final 1/2 will be in next week. What else will I need to start purchasing corals/anemones? I kind of know about some calcium adding device? Oh yeah, will be ordering 40-60lbs of LR in the next few days as well.

Think a RO/DI until will be a good idea, but other than that I"m clueless 8O

BTW I have amonia/nitrate/nitrate/ph/copper test kits, what others will I need?

I would like to gradually buy what I'll need over the next few months so when my tank is mature enough I'll be ready :D

jamal-188 said:
What else will I need to start purchasing corals/anemones?
Your not going to like this answer much but it's time and patience. Do not be in a rush to add animals to the tank. It will only lead to failure... :wink:

Think a RO/DI until will be a good idea, but other than that I"m clueless
Always a good idea and will serve your tanks needs much better and cheaper if you purchase your own unit. The cost is much less than buying the water and you will have the satisfaction of knowing it is pure.

BTW I have amonia/nitrate/nitrate/ph/copper test kits, what others will I need?
Alkalinity and calcium tests would be good. Iodine and phospate would be a plus as well.

Oh yeah, will be ordering 40-60lbs of LR in the next few days as well.
IME, you would have a much healthier and stable tank if you brought that number up to 150-200 lbs. You could look into the possibility of dry base rock to offset the cost. There are online sources that would run you less than $1.50/lb including shipping cost.

I would also suggest improving the tanks water flow if 600 GPH sump return is all you have now. Double that and you would be much better unless you already have extra PH's and forgot to mention them.

Depending on how high the light may need suspending, you may also wish to consider 2x400w MH with some actinic supplimentation. With a 31" tank depth plus the increased height of a hood, you would have much better success IMO.

Cheers
Steve

I realize I need to be patient. I have had a decent amount of problems so far that's why I'm trying to research this now and gradually buy what else I'll need so in a few months if I've been running problem free I'll consider buying some corals. :D

What else should I do to increase my water flow? Should I buy a second or bigger skimmer box or is adding power heads to my tank going to be okay? I just bought a tidepool s.o.s and mag 9.5 pump to bring it to 600gph a month or so ago. I wish I would have bought a bigger overflow and pump because I've been noticing that people usually have a 10x turnover.

I do have about 50lbs of very porus rock I bought from my LFS store that I will add to my tank with the LR, is that what you mean by base rock or is there actually special rock I should add with the the LR?

I was also considering 400MH but I was told on RC that it would only cause excess heat and electricity loss unless I wanted to make it a full blown reef tank, I don't know if you guys would agree with that or not? But I do plan on buying a 60"long 24" deep aquarium in a few months so it won't be quite as deep as mine now. I read a ton of posts for a couple hours last night on MH's trying to learn as much as possible.

jamal-188 said:
What else should I do to increase my water flow? Should I buy a second or bigger skimmer box or is adding power heads to my tank going to be okay? I just bought a tidepool s.o.s and mag 9.5 pump to bring it to 600gph a month or so ago. I wish I would have bought a bigger overflow and pump because I've been noticing that people usually have a 10x turnover.
Increasing the skimmer box size or adding an additional skimmer would be a waste. Getting a couple of Maxi-Jet 1200's for inside the tank would work well enough.

I do have about 50lbs of very porus rock I bought from my LFS store that I will add to my tank with the LR, is that what you mean by base rock or is there actually special rock I should add with the the LR?
What you have suggested here is fine, I was just offering an alternative that may save you some decent coin. If you wish to bring up the total amount of rock, adding additional base rock would do well. The LR you are adding will seed both the dead base rock and sand in time. >>Hi Rock<< is probabley on of the cheapest online sources and have good rock.

I was also considering 400MH but I was told on RC that it would only cause excess heat and electricity loss unless I wanted to make it a full blown reef tank, I don't know if you guys would agree with that or not? But I do plan on buying a 60"long 24" deep aquarium in a few months so it won't be quite as deep as mine now. I read a ton of posts for a couple hours last night on MH's trying to learn as much as possible.
If you are switching over to the 60x24 the 2x250w MH would be okay but if you stick with the 110 gal @ 31" deep you should really consider the the 2x400w if SPS and clams will be added.

Cheers
Steve

With a tank that big buying a ro filter would be a very good investment. It would pay for itself in a few months!! Good luck with the tank and if you havent ordered your live rock yet look at tampabaysalter.com for some really good stuff!

beachbumin said:
With a tank that big buying a ro filter would be a very good investment. It would pay for itself in a few months!! Good luck with the tank and if you havent ordered your live rock yet look at tampabaysalter.com for some really good stuff!

I actually use tap water w/ tap water conditioner for now, I know it's not idea but I should really look into a RO unit. I already did order LR from our sponser liverocks.com it's supposed to be here by 5pm and i'ts 435pm right now so any minute....

more live rock
take media out of wet/dry (build up of nutrients if not)
4to6 in deep sand bed
ro unit a must for corals
24in deep just 175w MH good enough with fan
with 31in need 250 watt with fan
actinic lighting sort with day to night timer (sim)

jamal-188 said:
beachbumin said:

I actually use tap water w/ tap water conditioner for now, I know it's not idea but I should really look into a RO unit. I already did order LR from our sponser liverocks.com it's supposed to be here by 5pm and i'ts 435pm right now so any minute....

LR never came today like it was supposed to :( Don't know what gonna happen tomorrow if it shows up, don't think anybody will be home to accept package :(

Back
Top Bottom