What filtration system has the LEAST salt spray

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

windward side

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm frustrated with my current 125 gallon tank mainly b/c I'm having to deal with salt spray (salt condensation on the rim of the tank), etching of the glass, and issues with moisture at the base of the tank. I have external Pelican pumps (I know they aren't great), and am looking to totally revamp the tank.

My question is this... If I go with an wet/dry filter how much spray if any is there? This key as I'm going to install it in very close proximity to a very expensive laminate floor.

My goal is maximal biological filtration with the lowest risk of water damage.

Any tips are greatly appreciated.

I'm not sure about how the "spray" is occurring at the top of the tank, but even with powerheads in the tank and decent surface agitation (a very good thing), you're gonna get salt at the top of the tank. At least along the plastic braces and even the lights if mounted close enuf. Water evaporates and the salt creep is a part of the SW experience I believe.

Describe more about you pump and sump situation. External pumps? From overflow box or drilled tank?

Is your wet/dry or sump gonna be mounted in a cabinet under the tank?

I'm not sure about how the "spray" is occurring at the top of the tank, but even with powerheads in the tank and decent surface agitation (a very good thing), you're gonna get salt at the top of the tank. At least along the plastic braces and even the lights if mounted close enuf. Water evaporates and the salt creep is a part of the SW experience I believe.

Describe more about you pump and sump situation. External pumps? From overflow box or drilled tank?

Is your wet/dry or sump gonna be mounted in a cabinet under the tank?
The wet/dry would be under the tank at ground level. My tank is not drilled so currently there are two clip on external pumps with bio wheels which because they drip water on the rotating biowheels generate more salt spray than I'd like.

I have glass on the top of my tank to deal with salt spray and keep it off of my lights, and the fish in the tank.

Don't know if there's a way to completely eliminate the salt spray. With the glass on the top of the tank I just take it off from time to time and clean it in fresh water. No biggie.

I use a Fluvial FX5 on my 125, no spray there.

if set up coorectly the water return should be placed slightly under the surface to break siphon if power fails otherwise there really should be little residual spray I would recommend open top tanks as I have found there is less cleaning of glass surfaces etc, of course you be the judge as to what you desire Good luck!

evaporation of water will not cause salt spray. As the word implys it's the spray that causes the salt. If you can keep the splashing and air bubbles down to a min. you will greatly reduce the amount of salt outside your tank. I am afraid that they is no free lunch and that water spills and splashes are all part of Aquarium keeping. The only way to prevent water on your expensive floor is to locate your tank in another room.

Salt creep is part of having a SW system. During your regular daily/weekly routine caring for your system if you wipe down the areas you are concerned with you can keep it under control. Glass tops on a SW tank is not a great idea, we want the surface agitated and exposed to the air for good O2 exchange, this helps to keep our PH stable.

If you're just setting up, I'd advise a good coating or two of polyurethane on your woods surfaces. Sides, bottoms, tops, or wherever a salt water vessel might be near unuf. It'll just have more shine. :)

I too use glass tops. I've always felt I get enough O2 exchange through my sump(s). Cleaning is a chore but it keeps the spray down off other things and it seems to lessen the evap somewhat (at least I've convinced myself of that).

Back
Top Bottom